Critical Blind Spots

jackory

The NEW King of Pop
Reaction score
What bands and/or artists get a lot of critical acclaim but just don't do it for you? You recognize their importance and don't begrudge their popularity, but for whatever reason you just don't like them. I think every classic rock fan has a few...Mine are:

Frank Zappa: incredible guitarist and a band leader to be reckoned with. For the most part I don't find his brand of humor to be all that funny and so much of his music was all about that. I almost see him as a novelty act because of this. I will admit to liking "We're Only In It For the Money".

Janis Joplin: the very thing that most people like about Joplin, her voice, is exactly what I don't like. Her choice of material was weak, by my standards.

Jefferson Airplane: I have tried and tried to develop an appreciation for Jefferson Airplane, because I know how important they were to the Haight-Asbury scene which I find to be very interesting. But with relatively few exceptions (notably the "After Bathing at Baxter's" album) they are plain boring.

Eric Clapton: the post-Cream solo material is what I don't get. Admittedly Clapton is a fine guitarist. But his music turned outright bland not too long afterward, and by the time he ruined "Layla" with that Unplugged version I had long absconded from the fold. "Tears In Heaven" is a great song, even so.

The Replacements: now this is a band I should really like...but I don't. I think it has to do with Westerberg's voice. Still, it's hard to fault a band that wrote a tribute to Alex Chilton and name checks Big Star so often.

Wilco...I won't even try to defend my apathy towards Wilco. Let's just say I have no doubt they are as good as their fans say they are.

Those are a few I can think of right now...yours?

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
I have a number of artists fitting that category:

Yes
Elton John
Van Halen
Queen
Electric Light Orchestra
Joni Mitchell
U2
Doobie Brothers
Kim Mitchell
Lighthouse

:D

Last edited:

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
I have a unique way of deciding what I like. I mean, I'll get hopeful and spin a lot of material by a band I've never heard before and make an active attempt to find something I like before I pass judgment. Just thought I'd make note of that before this tiny little list came up:

Bands I just don't "get":

Lynyrd Skynyrd
Yes
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
The Babys (more popular in the UK but christ I can't stand them)
The Who
Deep Purple

They aren't bad bands, by any means. Just ones that I haven't really been able to get myself into/get my head around.

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Jackory said:
Janis Joplin: the very thing that most people like about Joplin, her voice, is exactly what I don't like. Her choice of material was weak, by my standards.

Good topic for a thread!

I totally agree about Janis Joplin and I don't 'get it' when people shower acclaim upon her cover of "Summertime" ... :dunno:

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
I don't waste my time thinking or writing about bands I don't like. Frankly my dears, I just don't give a damn (sorry Rhett)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyLionEye

Members online