CRF'S Top 100 Bands Build Off

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
~CRF'S Top 100 Bands Build Off Part II~

There has been alot of positive feedback with the A-Z build off we just completed so I thought we could have another go at it but since the other thread didn't give everyone the chance to post a favorite band, this time we will just shoot for 100 personal favorites according to your opinion..
Pay Attention here now..
Post 1 band at a time.. NO LIST!!

I'm thinking we can try and number each post till we get to 100 but that might be hard to do if two people are posting back to back, so I've asked Soot to place a number on each band posted!!

So let's give this a try and see how it goes.. you can post as many times as you like till we reach the 100 mark.

You can give details about the band like we did in the A-Z build off thread.. The idea is to share info about what you like about the band or what achievements they have accomplished..

So here we go.. List One at a time a band you consider the greatest ever!!

I'll start with #1 Robin Trower

Robin%20Trower%20(3)%20Bill%20Lordan.jpg

Robin Leonard Trower (born 9 March 1945), known professionally as Robin Trower, is an English rock guitarist and vocalist who achieved success with Procol Harum during the 1960s, and then again as the bandleader of his own power trio.

Robin Trower is one of my favorite musicians out there.. His blues style rock has been a long time favorite of mine for many years and I'm glad he is still touring doing live shows..
I was rocked when I found out a few years back that Bassist James Dewar had passed away. He is a one of a kind musician and his smooth cool voice I enjoyed very much.
I have pretty much every Trower album and I guess I really like his earlier stuff more than his recent work with Jack Bruce and other musicians he has worked with.
The power trio he started out with has to be the real reason I got into Trower..
Favorite albums are..

Bridge Of Sighs
For Earth Below
In City Dreams
And Victims Of The Fury

Last edited:

Death on Credit

Reaction score
#3 - Bob Dylan
BobDylan-1.jpg

Who else was I gonna choose? :D No other artist has had even a fraction of the impact on me that Dylan has. He introduced intellectualism to rock 'n roll, turned pop songwriting on its head...And proved that you don't need any vocal talent whatsoever to be a successful singer.
Top 5 Albums:
Blonde On Blonde
Blood on the Tracks
Highway 61 Revisited
Desire
Time Out of Mind

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
#4 PINK FLOYD

pink-floyd-syd-barrett-david-gilmour-roger-waters-rare-vintage-60s-70s-retro-classic-rock-music-musician-photo-3.jpg

pink-floyd-early-bw.jpg

One of the most unique bands on the planet. Atmospheric, emotional, poignant... the descriptions are endless and yet none of them seem to hit the mark accurately. In the early days they refused to answer the question "How would you describe your music?" because they knew no tag could satisfy it completely.
So I say, do as Rick, Nick, Syd, Roger and David did.... Let the music speak for itself!!

My top 6 Pink Floyd Albums
(why 6 and not 5? Because I couldn't leave Dark Side hanging!)

1. Animals
2. Atom Heart Mother
3. Wish You Were Here
4. Meddle
5. Obscured By Clouds
6. Dark Side of The Moon

jtrichey13

Hall of Fame Guru
Reaction score
#7 -- Pearl Jam

pearl-jam.jpg

Pearl Jam burst onto the scene in 1991 with the Seattle grunge scene. The only reason Nirvana is held above Pearl Jam in many minds is because Cobain offed himself.

Best albums:
1. Vs
2. Ten
3. Yield
4. Backspacer

Best songs:
1. Black
2. Rearviewmirror
3. Indifference
4. W.M.A.
5. Alive
6. State of Love and Trust
7. Grievance
8. Undone
9. Supersonic
10. Wishlist

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
:clap::clap::clap::clap::hab::hab:

Really great to see this gaining some momentum. Drinks on me guys for the bands you posted and everyone one of them has it's rightful place in the halls of music..

Keep them coming guys..
:cheers2

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
# 8 Alice In Chains
alice-in-chains.jpg

Alice in Chains was the definitive heavy metal band of the early '90s. Their heavy riffing and the gloomy strains of post-punk helped the band develope a bleak and nihilistic sound. At the opposite side of that heavy grinding sound they had subtly textured acoustic numbers which they transitioned into so well. They were fronted by one of the most powerful voices to grace rock music, musically led by one of the best guitarists to grace rock that also has a great voice in his own right, and have been anchored by a pummeling rhythm section with the backbone being one of the most overlooked drummers.
Can't forget about those vocal harmonies between Staley and Cantrell. Sometimes they are just down right eerie and haunting as well as beautiful.

Best albums

Dirt (Shows how heavy they could be)

Jar Of Flies / Sap ( Shows that they could transition so well from grinding heavy metal to beautiful acoustic compositions.)

Live (Gives you a feel for how much of a menacing live act they truly were)

The rest of their albums (they are great in their own right, but not on the levels of the albums above)

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
# 9

Frank Zappa

8471baf2-bdd1-43c3-a19e-9b2c170a44eb.jpg

He was born Frank Vincent Zappa in Baltimore, Maryland.

Frank Zappa was rock and roll’s sharpest musical mind and most astute social critic. He was the most prolific composer of his age, and he bridged genres – rock, jazz, classical, avant-garde and even novelty music - with masterful ease. Under his own name and with the Mothers of Invention, Zappa recorded 60 albums’ worth of material in his 52 years. Many were double albums or CDs, making his output even more impressively huge. Not surprisingly, he was occupied nearly every waking hour by the composing, recording, editing and performing of music. He also found time to produce and collaborate with acts as widely varied as Captain Beefheart, Jean-Luc Ponty, Grand Funk Railroad, Wild Man Fischer, the London Symphony Orchestra and Berlin’s Ensemble Modern.
Zappa challenged the status quo on many fronts. As a plainspoken curmudgeon, he confronted the corrupt politics of the ruling class and held the banal and decadent lifestyles of his countrymen to unforgiving scrutiny. He pioneered the artist-run independent record label, launching his Straight and Bizarre imprints back in 1969 and later founding the Zappa, DiscReet and Barking Pumpkin labels. In the Sixties, he mocked middle-class mores in “Brown Shoes Don’t Make It” (from Absolutely Free) and sang about the climate of racial inequality and discord on “Trouble Every Day” (from Freak Out). In the Seventies, he satirized everything in sight, including disco music (“Dancin’ Fool,” from Sheik Yerbouti) and new-age movements (“Cosmik Debris,” from Apostrophe). In the Eighties, he enjoyed his one and only Top Forty hit, “Valley Girl,” and took on the Parents Music Resource Center (PMRC), delivering memorable testimony about the First Amendment at a congressional hearing.
Throughout his career, Zappa darkly but humorously depicted a landscape of wasted human enterprise largely driven by Pavlovian desires for consumer goods, sports and sex. His brutal jibes began with the first release by the Mothers of Invention, Freak Out (1966), and continued to the posthumous release of his final recorded work, Civilization Phaze III (1994). He reserved some of his keenest insults for rock journalists, which he once described as “people who can’t write interviewing people who can’t talk for people who can’t read.” But mainly he vented against mindless hedonism and the dumbing down of popular culture.
In 1993, Frank Zappa died at age 52 of prostate cancer, but not before culling, mixing and sequencing enough material from his vast archive to ensure the release of even more albums long after his passing.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online