Comus

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
The band was named after Comus, a masque by John Milton and is also from the name of the Greek god Comus. David Bowie appreciated them and used them as support band for a 1969 concert at London's Purcell Rooms.

Their first album, First Utterance, appeared in 1971. The music is largely acoustic art rock that blends elements of Eastern percussion, early folk and animal-like vocals. The music evokes many feelings, but the most dominant are fear, confusion, despair, with occasional passages of tranquil beauty such as can be found in "The Herald". The lyrics are dramatic, involving violence, murder, and mental disorder. Apart from three tracks on First Utterance ("The Herald", "Diana" and "Bitten"), most of the songs were written by Roger Wootton and arranged by Glenn Goring. The group disbanded after this album, but they reunited with new members for their second album, which was to be their swansong, To Keep from Crying, in 1974.

In 2005, a complete box set was released which featured both studio albums, their only single, "Diana", and a previously unreleased track called "All the Colours of Darkness". The liner notes feature an exclusive interview with some members of the band. They reformed for the Mellotronen Festival in Sweden in March 2008. According to their website, they have reformed and are working on new material.

On 21 March 2009 the Equinox Festival announced that Comus will perform for the first time in the UK in 37 years, during its three day festival in June.

Wootton also appears on some recordings by Slapp Happy.

mystic fred

Reaction score
Always thought the singer sounded a lot like Roger Chapman of Family, their classic album "First Utterance", originally on the Dawn label in 1971, has been reissued on CD and Vinyl.

comus.jpg
comus.jpg

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Comus ? What a strange complex of a band they are......psychedelic/ prog / folk.....you can add early gothic to that genre if the track[ the single] "Diana "is like the rest of what they have recorded. Im gone to have to check them out......very interesting :cheers2

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Their album cover is legendary to me...still gives me shivers when I look at it.

I love the first description an old friend used to describe Comus's album "First Utterance"...acid folk rock...:grinthumb

Harkat

Reaction score
I just must put these guys on my list. Everything that I have heard is a delight on the ears.

Strangely, I have not heard of the Greek god Comus :heheh:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online