Capturing the Moment

Travelin' Man

Reaction score
I hope that this is an original thread idea. I looked for something similar, but found nothing. Anyway...

We all have them. Moments of our lives that, no matter how utterly mundane they may have been, we remember clearly because of the song that was playing at that particular time. This thread is about how music can enhance and even galvanize these moments into our memories. I'm talking about songs that give you goose bumps. I have many of them and one, in particular, is a song that is about this very phenomena.

When I was 16, a friend and I were riding around in his car. We weren't really heading anywhere, we were just cruising around the town that we lived in. As we sat at one particular red light, Rush's Spirit of Radio came on. I loved (and still do) that song and to this day, every time I hear it, I'm 16 and I'm sitting in Mike's 1970 Mustang Grande, waiting for that light to turn green. And much like the song's "bright antennae bristling with energy" my arms bristle with goose bumps.

Care to share your experiences? I hope you do.

And by the way, that Mustang Grande was frickin' SWEET! :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Sounds like a "Flashback" thread to me TM...I don't think we have anything exactly like this.

I was talking about this in another thread this morning. It was 1970 and we were camping in Red Deer, on our way to Vancouver Island where Dad was transferred. It was a clear blue sky with a few fluffy white clouds, a perfect summer day. We were breaking camp taking the tent down and "Get Back" came on the old AM radio, my brother and sister both came and sat down and we all listened to the song, then when it was done went back to help roll up the tent. We noticed that there were a large number of mouse droppings in the tent, since we were right beside a farmers field no surprise there, but we were really surprised when we took out the bedrooms that a momma mouse had had her babies and made a nest with old newspaper she found in our boxes. Meanwhile a hawk was hovering overhead watching everything intently, so Dad got a box and moved the whole family to a safe location in the barely field beside us. To this day whenever I hear that song, I can picture that whole series of events and wonder how that family of mice made out and our last day of camping in Alberta as we moved west to the coast...kind of silly I know but it is a Kodak moment for me.:D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The song "Radar Love" by Golden Earring is a huge flashback song for me.

We were on a camping trip and I was 13. Since this is the age that the female hormones begin to rage and guys begin to look like they don't have cooties, I met my first romance in the camp ground that summer. We were sitting at a marshmellow roast by the fire and I got my first kiss while that song was playing. I will never forget that moment :)

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Was the summer of '74 and our family was on vacation at a lake near Yosemite and one afternoon this one group of older kids staying at a nearby cabin was absolutely blasting Aerosmith's "Train Kept A Rollin" and "Seasons of Wither" over and over and over from speakers they had brought out on to the deck by the boat slip.

My brother and sister and two cousins were kicking back on a floating barge in the middle of the lake at the time and it was like a free concert. And damn did it sound great!! :tup:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
The summer of 1974, my parents took my little brother on holidays, and my older brother and sister and myself were alone in the house for a week. My older brother was heavily into drugs at this time, so he had a party which Dad would have killed him for if he found out. Anyway that was the first time I smoked Pot, and the song playing,"The Pusher" by Steppenwolf...:heheh:. Whenever I hear that song, I teleport back to that night, and all the weird hippy freaks that were in the house smokin' and partying. Oh and all I got from smoking up was a headache, which was probably for the best anyway.:grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Green Grass and High Tides....boy what a song!

I can faintly remember my first totally wasted drunken stupor. I was 17 and it was a group of college kids that lived in a house 3 doors down from me that were having a hairy buffalo party. A hairy buffalo is fruit punch and anything alcohol that you can find to pout into it. Anyway,they had a chair they called "the lose it" chair. Everyone who sits in that chair while drinking gets sick, and I was no exception to that rule. I can remember this song playing in the back ground while the room was spinning and I got sick. Now everytime I hear this song, I think of how I could never drink a hairy buffalo again :D

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.
In The Light, and In My Time of Dyeing off Physical Graffiti (the whole album really). I had just gotten that tape. A week later, I did some mescaline. It was the first time I'd ever done any psychedelic, or any drug other than smoking weed.

I had a GREAT time. Listening to Physical Graffiti, which is pretty trippy at times, made a really cool soundtrack for the evening. When I hear those songs, it takes me back to that night, and reminds me of my friends that were with me.

It was so fun, i did it all over again the next weekend, same drug, same tape/songs....And I had another great time...Very other-worldly. Those tunes always transport me to those nights.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Staff online

Members online