Captain Beefheart Dies at 69

Death on Credit

Reaction score
Dear friends, I have just been informed that the legendary avant-garde rocker Captain Beefheart died today of complications from multiple sclerosis.

I'm too frazzled to do a write up at the moment, but one will certainly come later.

RIP Captain, you will be sorely missed.

Death on Credit

Reaction score
A fond farewell...

Yes, one of the true innovators has left the building. Admittedly, I am a fairly new fan of the music of Don Van Vliet, better known as Captain Beefheart. However, upon discovering him in May, he instantly shot to the top of my favorite artists. No one did it quite like the Captain. His music resonated with me in a big way. He was music’s great surrealist, and a truly irreplaceable soul. His passing is very sad news, to say the least. To many, his works seem to be incoherent messes, and it’s understandable why many take his atonal, and just downright weird, musical sensibilities. To those of us who understood what he was doing, however, he was something special. He saw into the beauty and the art of chaos. If he was ever unlistenable, it wasn’t because he didn’t know what he was doing. Trout Mask Replica is a force of nature, something truly unique in the entire pop canon, and it bleeds with the same life as James Joyce’s Ulysses. He may never get into the Rock ‘N Roll Hall of Fame (well, maybe he will, in light of all this…but it’s their loss for not taking advantage of giving the man this paltry honor while he was still with us), his death may not be honored with a Rolling Stone cover, but none of that matters. Conversely, his death may bring him newfound recognition…that doesn’t matter either. The legend that is Captain Beefheart will withstand regardless, and his place among the small pantheon of musical greatness has been, and will be, cemented. Goodbye Captain, though you have departed this Frownland, you will not be soon forgotten. I mean it, sure nuff ‘n’ yes I do.

No more bridge from Tuesday t' Friday
Everybody's gone high society
Hope lost his head 'n got off on alligators
Somebodies leavin' peanuts on the curbins
For a white elephant escaped from the zoo with love
Goes t' show you what a moon can do​

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What??!!! Aww so sad. I didn't know he had MS. That is a horrible disease to die from, it usually robs them of the ability to breath, swallow, or move.

Atleast he is at peace now..

:rip:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Wow that is another huge loss in the music world. Truly there was never anyone quite like "The Captain", and I doubt there ever will be. From the little I did know about him after he left the music business he became an accomplished artist.

:rip: You left the world richer than you found it, and we are lessened by your loss.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Members online