That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
classicrockrevisited

CAMPBELL WANTS A NEW DEF LEPPARD ALBUM IN 2012
Brought To You By VH1’s Dave Basner

While Def Leppard put some new songs on their recent live album, Mirrorball, it’s been three years since they released their last full studio album, Songs from the Sparkle Lounge. Now, guitarist Vivian Campbell is saying that the band hopes to put out a new record next year, telling Gibson.com that he hopes it will “lean a little bit toward the rock side of the spectrum.” Viv added that he wants it to have some of the flavor of 1981’s High ‘n’ Dry.

def_leppard.jpg

Last edited:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I don't know if they have it in them to write music like that anymore. I think you can only stray so far from your origins before you just can't write like that. You can still play the old stuff, but creatively, I think that beast died a long time ago with this band.

However, I'd be one of the happiest fans on earth if they could return to roots like that. :cheers2

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I think it may be hard for them as well, although it would be a welcomed CD by me.

It would have to be much easier than making a new On Through The Night which is a metal masterpiece.

:bow:

ANF

Reaction score
Sounds good to me. I don't mind pop but Def Lep completely lost their balls by the time of Adrenalize (some people say Hysteria, but I grew up on that album). That one track I heard off the live cd sounds like a nice step forward, a return to hard rock would be great.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yup!!! A hard rock album from them is just what the doctor ordered for sure!!! I also didn't mind Hysteria and still like that album. Sure it was the start of the HEAVY POP direction of the band, but it was the first having Allen with one arm.

They knocked a couple heavies out, off of it, with Women and Gods Of War and all that. :grinthumb

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Yup!!! A hard rock album from them is just what the doctor ordered for sure!!! I also didn't mind Hysteria and still like that album. Sure it was the start of the HEAVY POP direction of the band, but it was the first having Allen with one arm.

They knocked a couple heavies out, off of it, with Women and Gods Of War and all that. :grinthumb
All perfect points. the fact that the band stayed together after Allen's accident and still continued to put out a number of albums is pretty respectable in my opinion.

Another thing, yeah Hysteria was the start of the 'poppier' era of Def Lep (partially due to the drums), this continued also because of the continual falling of Steve Clark due to his alcoholism. Adrenalize still had some good tunes on it (nothing like the early/mid 80's) but it was also the last album that Clark had been involved in any of the writing.

So, the band went through some shit, and still survived, albiet they aren't the same beast they used to be. I just hope that they can put out something heavier again. I know Campbell wants HnD p2, but I'd be happy with Hysteria p2 over X2 or Slang2

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Here Here....I think Rick Allen should be used to playing with one arm by now and working on a heavier album wouldn't be as hard. What they need to do is pull out the first three...and listen to them over and over for WEEKS!!!!

The inspiration should take over from there. :cheers2

I wish Queensryche would do that :heheh: :peek

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
:heheh: Seriously! I don't know WHY some of these bands don't study their past catalogs before writing sessions begin....not to do the same thing over again, but to figure out what worked and what didn't and why, and stay in some sort of similar direction of that which did work.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online