Bucky's favorite Punk Tunes

rtbuck

Reaction score
In the 70's I hated Punk when it first came out & everything it stood for. Around 1977 my uncle would get me promo albums from a guy he knew that worked at a record store. He came home one day & said "Supposedly this is harder than Kiss". It was the Ramones "Rocket to Russia" & while I hated it I found it kind of funny & kept listening to songs like Teenage Lobotomy & We're a Happy Family(the lyric sleeve with the cartoon drawings made it more funny). So...I had my laughs for a while & traded it to a friend for Bad Company's "Straight Shooter" album. A couple of years later I was at a friend's house who had cable & Showtime(almost unheard of in the late 70's in my area). We watched the movie Rock & Roll High School & I was blown away by the Ramones(I know I probably wrote this story on the Ramones thread but it's a lead in to how I discovered Punk). I went back out & bought "Rocket to Russia".
Also around '77 I was up north in Canada around Lake Nippising on vacation with my parents & a friend. We could only pull in one radio station which was a rock station & one evening the DJ said he was breaking the rules & even though this song was banned in England he was going to play the tune in Canada. He played "God Save the Queen" by the Sex Pistols & it was punk so I hated it especially the vocals (actually I did like the power of the music but knew I had to hate the stuff because it went against Kiss,Sabbath,Aerosmith,BOC...etc). Around 1979 just after seeing Rock & Roll High School I heard an interview with Pete Townshend & he praised punk & considered the Pistol's "Pretty Vacant" the "My Generation" of the era. I loved "Pretty Vacant" upon hearing it & now I was getting hooked on Punk. I was familiar with many punk bands from reading Rock Scene magazine & soon I was buying the records.

Soooooo...Here are my favorite Punk songs in no order & remember it is Punk so beware of language on some of the tracks!

Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers "Born to Lose"

Sex Pistols "Pretty Vacant"

Lords of the New Church "Black Girl White Girl"

Richard Hell "Blank Generation"

Ramones "Rockaway Beach"

Hugh Dillon(Headstones) & Swamp Baby "Who the Hell You think you Are"

Forgotten Rebels "Surfin' on Heroin"

Softies(Damned) "Jet Boy Jet Girl"

Generation X "What Do You Want"

NY Dolls "Personality Crisis"

Stooges "Now I Wanna Be Your Dog"

Cramps "Bikini Girls W/ Machine Guns"

Teenage Head "Some Kinda Fun"

King Kurt "Bo Diddley Goes East"

Patti Smith "Gloria"

The Fems "Go to a Party"

Clash "Brand New Cadillac"

X-Ray Spex "Oh Bondage Up Yours"

Plenty more to come!!!

mrJim

Reaction score
Nice :grinthumb

I likey but I would subtract a couple and include::::::

Sonic Reducer - DeadBoys

Young Savage - Ultravox!

Up Yours - Goo Goo Dolls (Yes the Goo Goo Dolls!)

or
No Way Out - Goo Goo Dolls

***** Warning Content on this one ******
We're the Meatmen and You Suck - Yep you guessed it The Meatment

Last edited:

rtbuck

Reaction score
Awesome Mr.Jim! I was actually looking for "Buttocks" by the Meatmen on Youtube. I'll be adding more. Ultravox...great tune! I was just listening to old Goo Goo Dolls today. It's just funny that Johnny was collecting our dirty glasses at the Continental in the late 80's/early 90's!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I was never a huge punk fan either, but I love the Clash and great to see Teenage Head get a mention in Bucky's OP.:tup:

mrJim

Reaction score
Awesome Mr.Jim! I was actually looking for "Buttocks" by the Meatmen on Youtube. I'll be adding more. Ultravox...great tune! I was just listening to old Goo Goo Dolls today. It's just funny that Johnny was collecting our dirty glasses at the Continental in the late 80's/early 90's!
I had the same problem with Meatmen on youtube. "Buttucks" is on the live portion of that album... which is a cool album, particularly since my copy is on "white" vinyl :oyea:

how many times would we be there and Johnny would be working dish detail. The first time I seen the Goo Good Dolls was at the Continental. They were wild, Robby Goo came running/jumping onto the stage in his bare feet and cut offs the band whailing away. it was indeed cool!

And can you believe they opened for the Forgotten Rebels. Go figure

I think we could just keep adding to this thread Buck!

Khor1255

Reaction score
I have a similar experience with punk. I heard the Ramones in the late 70s and while I thought they were novelty and comedy some of the songs stuck with me. When punk became more accepted I hated it almost as bad as disco and new wave (and that is pretty bad) but still had a few songs that were guilty pleasures. In the early 80s I was in a few metal bands but these guys wanted to party more than make music so we never got much done. I then got in a band that wanted to play everything from Zeppelin to the Dead Milkmen and I had no choice but to learn some punk. We actually made some pretty awful songs and recorded them and I guess the whole genre became kind of fun for me.
Suddenly stuff like The Sex Pistols etc wasn't nearly as annoying. I still like the punk from the 70s and some of the 80s stuff but post punk is even worse than fake metal to me.

rtbuck

Reaction score
I had the same problem with Meatmen on youtube. "Buttucks" is on the live portion of that album... which is a cool album, particularly since my copy is on "white" vinyl :oyea:

how many times would we be there and Johnny would be working dish detail. The first time I seen the Goo Good Dolls was at the Continental. They were wild, Robby Goo came running/jumping onto the stage in his bare feet and cut offs the band whailing away. it was indeed cool!

And can you believe they opened for the Forgotten Rebels. Go figure

I think we could just keep adding to this thread Buck!

Yeah Mr. Jim, I Remember the one time we went to some club in Canada to see the Rebels & Goo Goo Dolls together(It wasn't the Hideaway) & the Goo Goo Dolls weren't going over real great in the beginning of their set so they played Spirit of the Radio by Rush as a joke & the crowd warmed up. It was so wild seeing the Goos back then...They were very punk back then! It is wild to think the Forgotten Rebels were the headliners but hell they always put on one hell of a show!

rtbuck

Reaction score
I have a similar experience with punk. I heard the Ramones in the late 70s and while I thought they were novelty and comedy some of the songs stuck with me. When punk became more accepted I hated it almost as bad as disco and new wave (and that is pretty bad) but still had a few songs that were guilty pleasures. In the early 80s I was in a few metal bands but these guys wanted to party more than make music so we never got much done. I then got in a band that wanted to play everything from Zeppelin to the Dead Milkmen and I had no choice but to learn some punk. We actually made some pretty awful songs and recorded them and I guess the whole genre became kind of fun for me.
Suddenly stuff like The Sex Pistols etc wasn't nearly as annoying. I still like the punk from the 70s and some of the 80s stuff but post punk is even worse than fake metal to me.

:grinthumb

rtbuck

Reaction score
I was never a huge punk fan either, but I love the Clash and great to see Teenage Head get a mention in Bucky's OP.:tup:

LG, Teenage Head is kind of one of those bands that upon listening to them you wonder if they should really be considered Punk. I've seen them live a few times & they were punk plus they always played punk clubs around me but they're almost more of hard rock & roll band with rockabilly sound. That is the one thing I do love about punk is it's rock & roll roots. Teenage Head did cover a bunch of those old rock & roll classics like Brand New Cadillac, Some Kinda Fun, Real Wild Child, & Eddie Cochran's Something Else which was also covered by Sid Vicious(who also Covered Cochran's C'mon Everybody), the NYDolls, & others but then You couldn't get more punk than Teenage Head's cover of the Stooges "Cock in My Pocket". Also another thing I love by Teenage Head which is total Punk is "Disgusteen" & what I do love about that tune is the very beginning when you hear that old gravelly voice say "Nice day for the party...isn't it?"? That voice is from one of my favorite kids shows growing up...the Hilarious House of Frightenstein & from the character the Librarian(Billy van)

mrJim

Reaction score
Yeah Mr. Jim, I Remember the one time we went to some club in Canada to see the Rebels & Goo Goo Dolls together(It wasn't the Hideaway) & the Goo Goo Dolls weren't going over real great in the beginning of their set so they played Spirit of the Radio by Rush as a joke & the crowd warmed up. It was so wild seeing the Goos back then...They were very punk back then! It is wild to think the Forgotten Rebels were the headliners but hell they always put on one hell of a show!
That show was in Welland, Ontario. Do you remember driving to that place on those back roads up to Welland, it was three of us I believe. I found the place by calling the chamber of commerce. There were 2 shows: an evening all ages and the regular night show and we decided to go to both.

Yeah so funny... the Goo's were bombing at first and Johnny didnt know who we were.

That Rebels road trip ranks right up there around number 1. But close by was the show where the music club was actually behind a huge Strip Club.:wtf: Mark and I go into the wrong doorway expecting to see Mickey, I swung the door open and :omg: Mickey was in there actually... but he wasnt singing. :oyea:

The look on our faces must have been priceless. I had to drag mark out of there :bonk:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlineclass

Staff online

Members online