Bruce Springsteen (Official Thread)

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Indeed, the whole thing basically retarded and delayed the release of the Darkness on the Edge of Town album, which is why there was that 3 year gap between Born to Run and DOTEOT...so all Bruce could do was just record stuff, but not release anything, so those Darkness sessions went on for ages and they produced over 50 completed tracks (which is where 'The Promise' album comes in, which is basically Darkness on the Edge of Town II ) It was a bit like the war Tom Petty fought with his record company, where he wasn't able to release anything because of legal issues, but which eventually ended up with the brilliant Damn the Torpedoes album, though this thing with Springsteen and Appel went on a lot longer, and it was a lot nastier. Funny how these ordeals often lead to artists producing their best work, maybe out of pent-up frustration?... many people would consider Darkness and Torpedoes to be BS's and TP's best records.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Tom Petty also had to deal with a stalker who burned down his house if I remember correctly TS. Not sure if they ever caught the guy...:hm:

Torpedoes is hands down my favorite TP album along with his debut, but Springsteen I've always liked both "Born" albums the most. Although I should go back and listen to Darkness again to be fair.

TheSound

Reaction score
No, they never caught anyone, it's one of the stranger rock mysteries as he had never been stalked or threatened to that point. The absolutely phenomenal (as in, IMO, the best documentary film ever made about a rock artist and his career!!) Peter Bogdanovich film/DVD about Tom Petty, Runnin' Down a Dream, all 4 hours of it!!...goes into some detail about the arson attack at Encino, where he lived, and what Tom lost in the fire, and the effect that it had on his family. I know in his book “Conversations with Tom Petty” he does actually mention that he has a good idea of who did it, but he doesn't name anyone because there isn't enough evidence, though I assume he told the police at the time who he suspected. But his daughter was almost killed, and they basically lost everything, including most of his record collection which apparently was off the scale, he owned many thousands of classic albums. Fortunately, Annie Lennox was at Dave Stewart's house next door, and when she saw the fire she realized the Petty's had lost everything, and so she went out and she bought everyone a complete new wardrobe of clothes...a very classy singer, and an even classier lady. The great "Won't Back Down" song came out of this fire, you can sense his determination not to be intimidated by whatever life throws at him...and I love the video, with his great friends George, Ringo, and Jeff Lynne there...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I didn't realize the scale of his loss, I wonder if he's tried replacing his cherished vinyl collection?

Annie Lennox has class for sure and TP has always seemed to rub shoulders with the nicest guys in the business, as that video shows.

TheSound

Reaction score
^^I didn't realize the scale of his loss, I wonder if he's tried replacing his cherished vinyl collection?

Annie Lennox has class for sure and TP has always seemed to rub shoulders with the nicest guys in the business, as that video shows.

That's one thing about the Runnin Down a Dream documentary, in 4 hours there isn't a single person who has a bad word to say about Tom Petty, if there was a poll taken amongst his fellow musicians for the nicest bloke in the music business, he'd be a very tough man to beat.

Yes, he has gone some way to replacing his treasured collection lost in the fire, as I have featured a couple of times on my CRF blog, he does a weekly radio show called Tom Petty's Buried Treasure where he hosts the show and talks about the music which influenced him and he loves, and then he plays it...apparently everything that he plays comes from his own private archive....lots of great 50's/60's stuff understandably, as that is when he was growing up and hearing new music...

TomPetty.com > News

Sorry I sort of went off topic and now the official Springsteen thread has turned into a Tom Petty thread...just for a few posts at least anyway!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^It happens no worries we have covered it all now. I'll nip down and read your Journal to catch up on TP's exploits.

TheSound

Reaction score
^^It happens no worries we have covered it all now. I'll nip down and read your Journal to catch up on TP's exploits.

Trouble is I don't update my journal as often as I should, I start off with the best of intentions and then I get distracted and forget all about it. So I must work on that.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
That's one thing about the Runnin Down a Dream documentary, in 4 hours there isn't a single person who has a bad word to say about Tom Petty, if there was a poll taken amongst his fellow musicians for the nicest bloke in the music business, he'd be a very tough man to beat.

I didn't know such a doc existed. I may have to Amazon this. I've liked this cat for a long time.

I, too, was born a rebel.:grinthumb

The Wanderer

Kids With Guns
Reaction score
^^Tom Petty also had to deal with a stalker who burned down his house if I remember correctly TS. Not sure if they ever caught the guy...:hm:

Torpedoes is hands down my favorite TP album along with his debut, but Springsteen I've always liked both "Born" albums the most. Although I should go back and listen to Darkness again to be fair.

When you give Darkness another listen, I would like to know your favorites/likes and dislikes from the album LG, as well as anyone/everyone else's opinion :).

I myself enjoy the whole album to the end, but it reminds me a bit of a "repeat?" of Born To Run, not saying Born To Run is bad,I love BTR, but just the "message" is repeated,the whole "Babe,we gotta get out of this town. Let's go." kind of the classic Greaser/Rebel/Break-Away feel, so to speak. Again not that it is a bad thing, but seems to me that is why it wasn't as successful as Born To Run. Of course I seem to remember reading that Darkness was meant to be the "sequel/s" to the BTR "story/stories", if that is the case I take all the previous back because now I see the reasoning behind it all :bonk:,but hey this is just my opinion, I'd say the main reason that Darkness wasn't as successful as BTR is def. that 3-year gap due to the issues with his record company and what not.

Just want to clarify, with this^^^ I don't mean to "gun" anyone down or argue. Apologies if my words are a bit confusing I just felt like voicing my opinion on something I'd like to say I have a "good" knowledge about :), in shorter words a friendly discussion :grinthumb.

Personally, the 3 albums I like the most from Springsteen are DOTEOT,Born To Run,and Nebraska, I feel like I have stated this before XD if so apologies. I'd type up a couple of reasons why those 3 but the last "paragraph" tired me out XD. Maybe another time.

As for the new album High Hopes, I am looking forward to it. Yet I would much rather like to see a return to his Nebraska-type work, just the dark,deep,murder,mystic feeling I get when I listen to it, amazing. All in all I am happy to hear The Boss is releasing a new album, and will be looking out for it. Peace and Love

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fiammeee

Members online