That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateclassicrock.com

SEGER, STEINMAN TO THE SONGWRITERS HALL OF FAME
THIS NEWS BROUGHT TO YOU BY VH1’S DAVE BASNER

The Songwriters Hall of Fame has announced the 2012 inductees. This year, Bob Seger, Jim Steinman and Gordon Lightfoot will be among the honorees when the event is held on June 14th in New York. Seger will be recognized for penning tunes like “Night Moves” and “Like a Rock,” Steinman will be honored for his work with Meat Loaf and more, and Lightfoot’s folk-pop hits like “Early Morning Rain” have earned him the distinction. Learn more at SongwritersHallOfFame.org.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Lightfoot should have been in years ago but that a nice gesture while he's still alive. He was here two years ago and looks...so frail and weak it was hard not to get a little choked up.

Seger is another worthy inductee, his early work alone merits this award.

Steinman....has he done anything but the "Bat..." records? I mean he is one talented guy but just saying if all he's done is 3 Meatloaf albums I am not sure that's enough.:think:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well for a 40 year career Jim hasn't done a whole lot, not. What he has done though has been HUGE. He has multiple worldwide hits to his name and not just ones done by Meat Loaf such as "Total Eclipse of the Heart" (which was written originally for Meat) and "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" (which Meat later covered).

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Isn't Total Eclipse... Bonnie Tyler's biggest hit?

I have no problem with Jim getting in, it sort of makes up for other HOF's being morons when it comes to deserving artists.;)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Didn't know that...not an Air Supply fan myself. I did enjoy Steinman's commentary on the making of the first "Bat..." record, Meatloaf was not anywhere in sight if I am remembering correctly. Cosmic will know she's a Meatloaf expert.:D

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
To echo the earlier comments from LG, not sure about Jim Steinman's contribution beyond Bat Out Of Hell (but I guess that was a pretty large contribution). Air Supply sounded like a pretty average MOR band to me, but happy to be proven wrong.

Also I can't help but remember Joe Elliot's comments about how appalling Steinman was as a producer, when they tried to use him for Hysteria (e.g. his key suggestion was changing the colour of the studio carpet, as it was effecting the ambience).

Could anyone recommend a couple of Gordon Lightfoot and Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band LPs to start with? Two artists I've been meaning to try out for years but never got round to.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Two of Gord's best records are "Sundown" and "Summertime Dream"...you could get a compilation of course but I Love those two albums.

Bob Seger..."Live Bullet" and "Night Moves" are my two favorites.

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Two of Gord's best records are "Sundown" and "Summertime Dream"...you could get a compilation of course but I Love those two albums.

Bob Seger..."Live Bullet" and "Night Moves" are my two favorites.

Thanks very much, will check 'em out. Not a compilation man unless I absolutely have to. Still in love with the long player and everything that comes with it!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online