Bob Marley: Yay or Nay?

Yay or Nay?

• Very yay! Bob was a brilliant man.

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Yay. I think there are a few people who do that, but Bob's music is still very good.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Eh....50/50

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Nay. He's only got a handful of good songs and mostly his legacy is from the weed.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Very nay! Everyone who likes Bob only does so because of his ultra stoner status

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Bob Marley is very obviously the biggest reggae legend of all time as well as a (perhaps even larger) marijuana icon, but do you like his music? I personally kept trying to get into his music time after time because I thought that clearly I must be missing something, but once upon saying that I didn't "get" Bob Marley I was promptly told that obviously I'm "not smoking the right stuff". I should have noticed it sooner really. All of the Bob Marley posters in 9/10 college dorms, the renowned burn outs at my high school all wearing shirts with him on them, and not once me ever hearing anyone actually listening to his music. I once was around people getting high with Bob Marley playing in the background and then talking OVER the music rather than actually listening to it. I think it's a similar thing as with The Misfits for "rebels", BUT in either case (as I'm starting to ramble) the question I ask is this: Taking the marijuana and icon status of said culture out entirely do you think Bob Marley is the "musical genius" that some claim him to be or do you think his music is mostly enjoyed for it's close association with getting high?

EDIT: In hindsight I should've probably put in the "Rock Lounge", but my brain went "Hey it's got a poll. Put it here." without really analyzing it too much.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Hmmm I gave Bob an Eh

50/50 here...it depends on my mood and he song combined.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Marley's music was never anything special to me. Nor was his message. Sorry.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'm with MP,,,50/50 I can only listen to reggae for a little while before my mind starts to wander.

I'll move it to the Rock Lounge Cosmic.;)

Tiny Tim

Reaction score
I'll give him a yay. I have to be in the right mood. I will say he is far and away my favorite reggae performer.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I agree with you there TT, but a little reggae goes a long way for me. I think there was more to him than just his ganja association.

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
i went with Yay. he's definitely an artist that you only listen to in certain moods and times but hes a great artist regardless of that