Biographies, books on popular music

magicmoments

Reaction score
Anyone else like "pop" biographies, or autobiographies, books on pop/rock in general?

magicmoments

Reaction score
I mentioned elsewhere that one of the best pop books I have read was on David Bowie, which centred on his incarnation as Ziggy Stardust. Written by David Goddard, and available on Kindle as a £1.99 download. A great bargain. I wrote this review of the book on Amazon:-

I was down under in Oz, unattached to pop culture, when Ziggy walked the earth. His life and death passed me by. Much like the whole career of David Bowie. A Greatest Hits album and nothing more. But as a lover of biographies, and of popular music in general, I saw this on the Kindle Store and took the chance to fill in the gaps.

Not disappointed, in fact a rather good book that draws together all the various strands from the 14 billion odd years prior to Ziggy gracing us with his presence. There was, for me, an under-current of foreboding , given the experience of David's elder brother and of his succumbing eventually to the ravages of schizophrenia - this unstated, but there.

An excellent selection of photos also provided, showing Ziggy and others in full regalia.

I really enjoyed the book, David Bowie was obviously a very creative guy. Maybe a full biography next?

This makes me remember something written by a guy who was a great fan of Bowie, can't remember exactly who or where. He spoke of seeing Bowie for the very first time on "Top of the Pops" on TV singing "Starman" as Ziggy. The guy spoke of being transported to some new world of sparkling colour and glory by Bowie's costume and sheer presence. The guy's dad said to him:- "You do realise that we only had a black and white telly?" Which shows what music can do......as someone once said, "music is the thing itself".

And as a spot of name dropping, Friedrich Nietzsche's "without music life would be a mistake."

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Staff online

Members online