Billy Idol (Official Thread)

kaientai

Reaction score
Re: Billy Idol

to an earlier post.....yeah cyberpunk was a miss, but i applaud his effort and what he was trying to do. I think in that era, he would have been labeled irrelevant with the Alt boom anyway so maybe he was neither worse nor better off in this direction than staying the course. I actually listened to it again not long ago, and yes it didn't really work, and amazingly it has its most dated sound despite being (what i think) was his last full length album. But you can't be White Wedding forever can you?

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

I am also a fan, not a massive fan although I have seen him live still energetic and has still got a six pack as my better half said at the time (rich boy-not jealous).

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score

To me, Billy Idol is a unique artist. In my 30 years on earth, I've never seen a musician as cocky and confident on their records or music videos as Billy Idol. That's not a bad thing. His confidence oozes out on song and on the screen. It is definitely in his lyrics, his delivery of lyrics and body language. I've always liked that about him.

I'm not a huge fan of Cyberpunk, but it is worth the price of purchase, considering new copies are usually 5 bucks and used ones are about a penny before shipping on Amazon's Marketplace or Ebay. "Heroin" (a cover song) and "Shock to the System" are excellent. "Adam in Chains" isn't bad either.

One of my favorite Billy Idol memories concerns the movie Look Who's Talking Too. Halfway through the movie there is a "dream sequence" by Kirstie Alley which shows John Travolta (her hubby in the movie) driving down the road in a sports car with a younger woman while "Rebel Yell" is playing in the background. Funny stuff.

Another memory involves the Billy Idol Unplugged album from the early 2000's. When doing the song Cradle of Love, he modifies a verse to sing the line "This song is so cheesy, cheesy......."

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

To me, Billy Idol is a unique artist. In my 30 years on earth, I've never seen a musician as cocky and confident on their records or music videos as Billy Idol. That's not a bad thing. His confidence oozes out on song and on the screen. It is definitely in his lyrics, his delivery of lyrics and body language. I've always liked that about him.

I'm not a huge fan of Cyberpunk, but it is worth the price of purchase, considering new copies are usually 5 bucks and used ones are about a penny before shipping on Amazon's Marketplace or Ebay. "Heroin" (a cover song) and "Shock to the System" are excellent. "Adam in Chains" isn't bad either.

One of my favorite Billy Idol memories concerns the movie Look Who's Talking Too. Halfway through the movie there is a "dream sequence" by Kirstie Alley which shows John Travolta (her hubby in the movie) driving down the road in a sports car with a younger woman while "Rebel Yell" is playing in the background. Funny stuff.

Another memory involves the Billy Idol Unplugged album from the early 2000's. When doing the song Cradle of Love, he modifies a verse to sing the line "This song is so cheesy, cheesy......."

:heheh:

Cradle of Love is actually my favorite by him! One of the hottest vids of my teen years! :D

My Billy Idol movie part is his part in The Wedding Singer! :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I just caught "The Wedding Singer" on TV yesterday and while I loved Billy's appearance in it I must say that he is not the strongest of actors. :heheh:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I love Billy in the Wedding Singer! :heheh:

"Don't you talk to Billy Idol that way!" :oyea:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I was really kind of hoping that Billy would've punched that guy. That would've made me so much happier. :heheh:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Billy Idol Working on First Album in Eight Years

MO_BillyIdol21.jpg

SOURCE LINK

Concertgoers have already noticed new songs like ‘Ghosts’ and ‘Love and Glory’ finding their way into Billy Idol’s current setlists. Now, the veteran punk-rocker is confirming that a new album is on the way.

Speaking to Billboard on a conference call in advance of the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival, where he’ll make a midnight appearance on June 15, Idol says: “I’ve been gradually putting new songs together. A couple of them are a little more ballad-like, but of course we balance those off against a lot of the sort of fun Idol songs that people know and expect.”

Sessions for a new studio project, the first to feature new music from Idol since 2005′s ‘Devil’s Playground,’ are to commence in late July, after this on-going tour ends. Idol’s most recent album was the Yuletide-themed ‘Happy Holidays,’ back in 2006.

He shrugs off any talk of songwriting cobwebs associated with such a long layoff, however: “It’s as easy and as difficult as it’s always been,” Idol counters. “A new song is kind of like an undiscovered country. You’re dreaming up this world that is going to exist. It’s just in song shape. I still find it really exciting. There’s the same easy part to it, the same difficult part to songwriting. I find it really intriguing, I really do. The day you come up with a killer song you’re just over the moon. It pays you back a thousand fold.”

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online