Bill Ward wants Ozzy Osbourne to apologize

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateclassicrock.com

57075991-630x420.jpg

Exiled Black Sabbath drummer Bill Ward has lashed out at his former bandmates for attacking him with “nothing but insults and false remarks” since his contentious separation from the group back in 2012.

In a lengthy post on his Facebook page, Ward singles out Ozzy Osbourne in particular, declaring that the singer’s “rhetoric above all has brought me the most discord.” In May of 2012, Osbourne declared that Ward couldn’t remember his drum parts, and wasn’t in shape to handle the band’s 2013 world tour: “He was so out of condition, and the drummer is the most demanding job in the whole band.”

Osbourne, guitarist Tony Iommi and bassist Geezer Butler wound up recording the band’s reunion album 13 with Rage Against the Machine drummer Brad Wilk taking Ward’s spot, and toured behind the record with Tommy Clufetos from Osbourne’s solo band sitting behind the kit.

The group is reportedly discussing one last studio album and a farewell tour, but Ward says he “will not participate in any musical undertakings until a righting of the wrongs spoken against me has been achieved.” He also re-states his demand for a “signable” contract, which was the issue that he says caused him to opt out of the reunion in the first place.

Ward is quick to state that he has “little to no expectations of this happening,” and that he wrote his statement so that the group’s fans would know where he stood. “Put simply, it’s up to them. I have dearly missed playing with them and as people, I have been heartbroken over the loss of who I thought we were.” The full text of Ward’s statement can be found below.

Dear Friends,
I hope you’re well and in good spirits. I have not made any public statements regarding my relationship with Black Sabbath since February 2012. Today, I want to address that relationship in this formal statement. Thank you.
I have neither severed nor discontinued my relationship with Black Sabbath, however, since 2012, the often inaccurate statements about me as a person and as a musician have caused me to be guarded and be especially detached emotionally and spiritually from Ozzy. His rhetoric above all has brought me the most discord. The continuing misguided information about me has established a necessity on my part to confront these issues. And now, with the imminent release of a new Bill Ward Band album, and the flurry of rumors about new Sabbath projects, I feel it appropriate to speak in a truthful and an un-cynical way.
There is always speculation about a true, original Sabbath lineup for the next tour or record. With a sad heart, I have to say I will not participate in any musical undertakings until a righting of the wrongs spoken against me has been achieved. I must admit, I have little to no expectations of this happening, but in the order of first things first, I’m looking for an honest accountability of all of Ozzy’s statements that I felt were untrue. I would want Ozzy to amend his opinions and exaggerations. I would want him to be forthcoming about his unrealistic viewpoints. And because I was chastised publicly, I would want him to amend publicly in his words, and not through an Ozzy representative, the nature of the wrongs. I would not want to continue on with him without this seemingly impassible dilemma being addressed. I don’t think previously strong relationships can remain strong after dispute by just sweeping the offensive stuff under the carpet, or by saying a puny sorry, or “oh, that’s all over now.” It doesn’t work like that for me. Righting of wrong works, and that’s what I want if I’m ever going to be his friend again.
Still undone and faraway is a “signable” contract. I would require a “signable” contract before moving one step toward a pathway that could lead to us all playing together again. I want a contract I can approve. That’s my truth. That’s my stand. I’ve listened to nothing but insults and false remarks, and if as a band or as individuals they wish to continue along the same lines, then any notion of an original Black Sabbath lineup will continue to fade away.
Put simply, it’s up to them. I have dearly missed playing with them and as people, I have been heartbroken over the loss of who I thought we were. And now you know where I stand.
Very soon my band, BWB will release a new album ironically called “Accountable Beasts.” I re- kick-started it in May 2012, and in an off and on journey to record, we have reached our final destination – a good mix, and a well mastered record. At this time we are putting the final touches on the digital booklet.
There are other multiple projects in different stages of progress, and I hope to bring more definitive news about them as things unfold this year. I have been very happy writing new songs, playing drums and working with other musicians. I have been blessed with musical visions and the ability to harness them. I’m moving into the future with an optimistic outlook.
For our many Sabbath fans, I love you all dearly. You are extremely special people. You ****ing rock. I have been in deep regret since January 2012 that a true union was denied. I’ve remained faithful to you and honest with myself. Had I not been honest throughout I would have perished long ago. My hand is within yours, and I am encouraged to know you better. Stay safe and stay strong.
Now it is time to meet the circumstances of my statement and attend to what else is ongoing and before me.
Love,
Bill Ward

Read More: Bill Ward Blasts Black Sabbath: 'I've Listened to Nothing but Insults and False Remarks' | Bill Ward Blasts Black Sabbath: 'I've Listened to Nothing but Insults and False Remarks'

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Ozzy's reply:
One day after Black Sabbath drummer Bill Ward released a 700-word statement blasting frontman Ozzy Osbourne and detailing intra-band squabbles, Osbourne has responded on his Facebook page, bluntly asking, "What the **** are you on about?"

In Wednesday's post, Ward reiterated that he would not rejoin the band until Osbourne apologized for unspecified statements Ward said were insulting to him. "With a sad heart, I have to say I will not participate in any musical undertakings until a righting of the wrongs spoken against me has been achieved," the drummer wrote. "I must admit, I have little to no expectations of this happening, but in the order of first things first, I'm looking for an honest accountability of all of Ozzy's statements that I felt were untrue."

Osbourne, however, remained unrepentant in his new post. "I cannot apologize for comments or opinions I may have made about you in the press during Sabbath’s 13 album and tour," the singer wrote. "Physically, you knew you were ****ed. Tony [Iommi, guitar], Geezer [Butler, bass] and myself didn’t think you could have done a two-hour set with a drum solo every night, so we made the decision to move on. With Tony's [lymphoma] condition, we felt that time was not on our side."

In August 2013, Osbourne called Ward "incredibly overweight" and said, "I don't think he could have done the gig, to be honest.... A drummer has to be in shape. He's already had two heart attacks. I don't want to be responsible for his life."

Osbourne also called Ward's claims that a 2011 Black Sabbath reunion contract was "unsignable" disingenuous. Ward had previously said that he would need something he could approve of before moving forward with the tour, but Osbourne now claims it was Ward's ill health that prevented the drummer from touring with his bandmates.

"Bill, stop this smokescreen about an 'unsignable contract' and let's be honest," Osbourne wrote. "Deep down inside, you knew you weren’t capable of doing the album and a 16-month tour. Unfortunately for you, our instincts were correct, as you were in [the] hospital several times during 2013. Your last hospitalization was for a shoulder surgery that you now say you've only just recovered from. This would have meant that our world tour would have been canceled. So how is all of this my fault? Stop playing the victim and be honest with yourself and our fans."

The band decided to carry on without Ward and record their comeback record 13 with Rage Against the Machine drummer Brad Wilk.

While the situation between the longtime bandmates exacerbates, Osbourne did end his note with a quasi-olive branch. "Bill, we go back a long way," wrote the singer. "Let's stop this now before it gets out of hand. God bless you."

Despite writing that he's "listened to nothing but insults and false remarks" and that "any notion of an original Black Sabbath lineup will continue to fade away," Ward expressed resignation and regret at the current situation.

"It's up to them," he wrote. "I have dearly missed playing with them and as people, I have been heartbroken over the loss of who I thought we were. And now you know where I stand."

The group recently canceled a scheduled appearance at Ozzfest Japan in lieu of an appearance by Osbourne. The appearance had been billed as the group's "farewell," but a Sabbath rep told Rolling Stone that's not the case. "Although there have been discussions about a Sabbath Farewell Tour, nothing has been confirmed," she said. With Osbourne and Ward's recent statements, the chance of a full Black Sabbath reunion continues to diminish.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
lol They all need to just grow up.

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
Bill Ward does anyway. It's a fact that he has had heart attacks and is in and out of the hospital.
They clearly don't want him to drop over dead at the skins the way Nazareth's drummer Darrel Sweet did years back. Nothing childish about telling it like it is.Ward just needs to accept the offer to play on the album and forget about touring and or just quit whinning about his so called "ill treatment" at the hands of the other band members. A while back he was whinning about Geezer.

Neither he nor Ozzy said any thing derogatory about Bill just stated the bands position on his poor health situation.

Its time Mr Ward ( one my favorite drummers BTW ) either accepts their offer or moves on without all the drama.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
^ But then Geezer threatened to fight Bill, so Bill turned his attention to Ozzy.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nah they all need to grow up.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member