Best Run of Three or More Consecutive Albums

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
These have probably been mentioned already, but in case they haven't -

Uriah Heep - Look at Yourself; Demons and Wizards; Magicians Birthday
Led Zeppelin - I, II, III, IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti
Cream - Fresh Cream; Disraeli Gears; Wheels of Fire
Genesis - Trespass; Nursery Cryme; Foxtrot; Selling England by the Pound; The Lamb Lies down on Broadway
Yes - The Yes Album; Fragile; Close to the Edge

Last edited:

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
Can't disagree with the first six Led Zeppelin albums, out of those I would probably place Houses of the Holy sixth in order of preference and yet it's still an excellent album.

Looking back at my older post in this thread shortly after I joined the forum(http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/649753-post77.html) I can definitely now say that the Pink Floyd sequence of Dark Side of the Moon-Wish You Were Here-Animals-The Wall is one of the best, how was I missing out on such a great album in Animals back then? Just a shame the magnificent Meddle can't be included in that due to Obscured by Clouds, as others have pointed out.

However, I wouldn't say that the Fleetwood Mac sequence I suggested back then is up with the greatest sequences of 3 albums, I love the White Album and absolutely adore Rumours but Tusk just has a bit too much filler or songs that don't really do it for me and even though it does contain a fair bit of strong material I can't honestly say I consider it a great album.

Neil Young has a couple of very strong album sequences too (providing you count Neil Young, and Neil Young & Crazy Horse as the same artist, I do but it's open to debate) around the first half of the 1970s:
- Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, After The Gold Rush, Harvest
- On The Beach, Tonight's The Night, Zuma

I'd also add the 1972-76 Eagles album sequence:
Eagles, Desperado, On The Border, One Of These Nights, Hotel California
I knew that Desperado and Hotel (and the albums in between) would be part of this sequence, but I debated about whether or not to include the debut or The Long Run - in the end I decided the former was strong enough to make this sequence whereas the three weaker tracks on the latter prevent its inclusion regardless of the (IMO) high quality of the other seven tracks.

Black Dahlia

A Seasoned Witch
Reaction score
Renaissance

Ashes Are Burning (1973)
AshesAreBurning_zps43d04c73.jpg

Turn Of The Cards (1974)
TurnoftheCards_zps31dfd2b3.jpg

Scheherazade And Other Stories (1975)
ScheherazadeandOtherStories_zps6d194ec2.jpg

erm2020

Reaction score
Elvis Costello & The Attractions - This Year's Model, Armed Forces, Get Happy! (Add in My Aim Is True at the beginning, if you include non-Attractions records).

REM - Chronic Town (EP), Murmur, Reckoning
REM - Lifes Rich Pageant, Document, Green

The Replacements - Let It Be, Tim, Pleased to Meet Me

The Hold Steady - Separation Sunday, Boys and Girls in America, Stay Positive

Steely Dan - Katy Lied, The Royal Scam, Aja

All previous mentions of Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, Floyd, Neil Young I HEARTILY ENDORSE!

Great thread!

Segue Myles

Reaction score
Rush- Caress Of Steel through to Presto. I love all of these albums!

Toto- IV-Tambu

Lacuna Coil- Lacuna Coil EP-Broken Crown Halo

Kate

Deadhead
Reaction score
A few of my favorite trifectas among viable remaining omissions:

1. The Who (has this really NOT been posted? - apologies if missed): Tommy, Who's Next, Quadrophrenia

2. Jethro Tull: Realizing that both Sox and Hawk have posted their selections, my preference shifts slightly forward along the chronological spectrum to encompass Passion Play along with Aqualung and TAAB as a threesome, but, really, that run should include the equally ingenious Stand Up and Benefit on the front end!

2. Pixies: Come on Pilgrim, Surfer Rosa, and Doolittle

3. The Smiths: The Smiths, Meat is Murder, and The Queen is Dead

4. The Kinks: Village Green, Arthur, and Lola v. Powerman

5. Canned Heat: Canned Heat, Boogie with Canned Heat, and Living the Blues

6. Meat Puppets: Heck, take any three in succession beginning with II in '82 through Rat Farm in 2013...my desert island 3 would be the latest run comprising Sewn Together, Lollipop, and Rat Farm...

7. Morphine: Meat Puppets redux - within a week of discovery back in August, I'd purchased the entire catalogue. This call is even tougher than the last, though with a negligible bit of fudging, I could argue that that the release vector between Yes, B-Sides, and Bootleg Detroit is sufficiently linear to constitute a viable selection!

8. Dead Kennedys: It's always a good time for Jello! Fresh Fruit, Plastic Surgery, and Frankenchrist (mercy me - we could use a little righteous indignation among the narcotized masses about now)/peace, K

Reaction score
Greatest Streak of Great Albums?

This is a tough one that makes for a good debate.

Zeppelin 1-4 take the cake? Perhaps Beggars Banquet-Exhile? Meddle-The Wall? Rubber Soul-Abbey Road? Everything Bob Dylan-John Wesley Harding? Just to name a few of the obvious contenders.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
KISS-the first 6 (7 if you count side 4 of "Alive II")
Foreigner first 4
Van Halen 1,2,Women And Children,Fair Warning

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Staff online

Members online