1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best artists to start into the blues?

Discussion in 'Blues & Jazz' started by singforsam, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Džedaj

Džedaj Groovy as hell.

Freddie King is awesome to start with, aswell already mentioned Peter Green, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and others ;)

2. ecisgod

ecisgod Senior Member

foxhound has the right one....great album IMO

3. rtbuck

rtbuck Senior Member

Well, probably the best place to start if you want "some real authentic down in the delta-blues" would be Blues Hammer!!!!!!

4. rtbuck

rtbuck Senior Member

^^^^^Only joking!! This was from a great scene in the movie Ghost World^^^^^

Here's what led up to it:

5. rtbuck

rtbuck Senior Member

Actually, what got me really into the blues was Freddie King & Albert Collins after a customer at a supermarket I was working in back in '82/'83 overheard me talking about an Eric Clapton concert I had just seen. He joined in the conversation but was more curious how the opening act, the fabulous Thunderbirds, were. A few days later he came back to the store with a blues mix tape of mostly Freddy King & Albert Collins & I've been hooked since. I loved the Electric Blues by those 2 legends but hearing Freddy King's cover of "Walking By Myself" got me into the old Jimmie Rodgers stuff which led into Jimmy Reed which led into Little Walter...etc

6. Lynch

Lynch I'm just here for the cookies!

Kenny Wayne Sheppard. His first two albums are fantastic!

7. Magic

Magic Woman of the World

If you want to get into the "Texas" blues (which is usually rich with harmonica) the best place to start would be with The Fabulous Thunderbirds.......

The Debut is as good as anyplace to start:

[​IMG]

Just an FYI....Stevie Ray Vaugh is also a Texas blues artist :)

8. billtjr51

billtjr51 Senior Member

Roy was great, his music still is. His guitar playing was pure, no gimmicks. He played a 1953 Fender Telecaster he named "Nancy", and also a 1956 Telecaster Guild. Such a great talent. Sure wish he was still alive. His guitar playing will live forever!

9. aeroplane

aeroplane In Urgent Need of Advice

I'd probably start with B.B. King.

I have some friends who are hardcore blues purists who are a little reluctant to recommend Eric Clapton to beginners, for reasons I don't know anything about. I'm assuming some of you here have a theory or two?

10. joe

joe Senior Member

A few more for ya: Muddy Waters, Albert King, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf. All electric and/or Chicago blues. If you plan to go onto blues rock/British blues revival I'd recommend John Mayall Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton, Fleetwood Mac's s/t debut or Then Play On, East-West from the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, 12X5 from the Stones, The Animals s/t debut, Five Live Yardbirds, Tons Of Sobs from Free, Thank Christ For The Bomb by the Groundhogs and Raw Sienna from Savoy Brown, Sailin' Shoes or Dixie Chicken from Little Feat.