Best and worst lineup changes

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
The subject line says it all. If this topic is on the board already, I have been using all the wrong keywords and can't find it.

I thought about doing this for individual components, i.e. singer, bassist, guitarist, drummer, etc. but it seemed like at least one or two of the threads would get lost in the shuffle.

So let's hear it. Best and worst lineup changes of a band from any genre or era.

What new or replacement members managed to run your favorite band(s) right into the ground, in your humble opinion?

What new or replacement members grabbed the reins of a band(s) you were previously lukewarm about and took them to new heights?

OzzyVanHalen

Reaction score
Gary Cherone In Van Halen
9157459_Extreme_GaryCherone.jpg
When Gary Cherone Joined Van Halen it was terrible Gary Cherones voice didn't fit in well with Van Halen like Roth and Hagar did.

Fever

Reaction score
Rickey Medlocke replacing Mike Estes in Lynyrd Skynyrd was a great lineup change.As was Michael Cartellone replacing Owen Hale in Skynyrd.

Fever

Reaction score
Randy Jackson replacing Ross Valory was a bad lineup change for Journey-Glad Ross is back in the band.Deen Castronovo has been a good replacement for Steve Smith in Journey

Death on Credit

Reaction score
Worst line-up change: Mick Taylor leaving the Stones...Followed closely by Bill Wyman leaving the Stones.

Best line-up change: Crosby, Stills, & Nash adding Neil Young.

snowblue

Reaction score
Best line up change - Justin Hayward and John Lodge joining the Moody Blues after Denny Laine and Clint Warwick left. Completely changed the direction of the band.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
A newer band that I like, "Kamelot" when vocalist Roy Kahn replaced Warner on "Siege Perilous", I think they went up another level.

Fever

Reaction score
Good change-Noah Hunt replacing Corey Sterling as lead singer in the Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band

Bad change-Max Carl replacing Don Barnes in .38 Special.And Danny Chauncey taking over for Jeff Carlisi.Strange how when Barnes came back ,Carlisi leaves.Max Carl is now in Grand Funk Railroad replacing Mark Farner.

runtfan

Reaction score
Good lineup changes -

Tommy Shaw joining Styx. He immediately became a force in Styx's late 70's run.

David Gilmour joining Pink Floyd.

Rick Wakeman joining Yes.

Steve Perry joining Journey - like him or not, he put Journey over the top when they needed it.

Don Felder joining the Eagles.

Bruce Dickinson joining Iron Maiden.

Fever

Reaction score
Bad lineup change-Ted Nugent getting rid of Derek St.Holmes.Those songs like Stranglehold just aren't the same without Derek's vocals.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online