Ben Folds (Official Thread)

Kuaizi

Reaction score
MP - the BFF concert was a lot of fun! They played a ton of stuff, and they sounded amazing. Opened with Michael Praytor, and played most of the new songs from the album sprinkled within older hits. They ended with Underground and One Angry Dwarf which were flippin awesome! Some other songs they played which I remember: Jackson Cannery, Song for the Dumped, Battle of Who Could Care Less, Kate, Army, Alice Childress, Best Imitation of Myself, Magic, Selfless Cold and Composed, and a couple others I'm forgetting for sure. They played Erase Me, Michael Praytor, Sky High, Do It Anyway, Draw a Crowd, and Hold That Thought from the new album. I was surprised too they played one Ben Folds solo track, Landed, which was really great with BFF. It was funny, most people were singing along more to that than the BFF stuff LOL!!!
Anyways, it was a ton of fun and I suggest going to see them if you have a chance!

The only problem with the concert was that there were too many hipsters in the crowd LOL

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Ben Folds lived in Adelaide with his 3rd wife, Australian Frally Hynes until he had an affair with their yoga teacher :rolleyes: He wrote this song about Adelaide. The next song is 'Not Supposed To Miss You' performed by Frally.

Adelaide – Ben Folds

Not Supposed To Miss You – Frally Hynes

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Picking a favorite from the new Ben Folds album is impossible. Ben is brilliance though. If you are a fan and haven't bought the album yet Ben adds Chamber Pop and a couple concertos to his repertoire. I like them but I particularly like Ben creating a spiritual successor to "The Luckiest", to my ears of course. There's a beautiful wispy sonic texture and wonder to Bens vocals and performance that no other artist has!

So There
benfolds-sothere-560x560-560x560.jpg

I'm Not The Man

And one of his Concerto Pieces:

Concerto for Piano and Orchestra, Movement 1

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
ok Soot and Stars for a first time listener which way to enter into Ben Folds then please...:bow::grinthumb

you rock when others suck!!!!:grinthumb:oyea::nana::bb::headbang

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
ok Soot and Stars for a first time listener which way to enter into Ben Folds then please...:bow::grinthumb

you rock when others suck!!!!:grinthumb:oyea::nana::bb::headbang

O.K., this is hard because he's so eclectic and has a wide berth of material over time. I'll give you five tracks that have a mixture of tempos and moods:

Not the Same
(a beautifully composed ball of melody, energy and quirky eccentricity, with the audience interaction it's that much more magical)

Song For The Dumped
(W/ Ben Folds Five, a crazy raucous song that showed the three piece mixing some punk ethics into their Jazz inspired Pop)

The Luckiest
(One of the most beautiful songs ever written about love or anything)

Picture Window
(another beauty and perhaps my favorite lyrically

"You know what hope is?
Hope is a bastard
Hope is a liar
A cheat and a tease
Hope comes near you?
Kick it's backside
Got no place in days like these"

Brick
(I love this song and it's a classic as well as MOST peoples gateway to Ben Folds/Ben Folds Five. If this was a personal top five it wouldn't make it quite this high but this dark pop single about dealing w/ an abortion and adulthood in general is worthy of being a gateway to an amazing artist)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11