Belly (Alternative Rock Band)

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Formed in New England during 1991 by singer/guitarist Tanya Donelly, also known for her work in Throwing Muses and The Breeders, the band Belly enjoyed a brief five year career.

During their time together, the group released one ep, two studio albums, a greatest hits collection and also appeared on various movie soundtracks, alternative rock compilations and tribute albums (including a tribute to Jimi Hendrix).

Belly first whetted the appetite of alternative rock fans with a modestly distributed 1992 ep titled Slow Dust. This recording resonated with alternative rock fans and provided increased visibility for Belly ahead of their first full-length recording titled Star in 1993.

Eventually selling close to one million copies in the US and around double that figure worldwide, Belly became a radio and MTV staple due to a couple of well-received singles titled Feed The Tree and Gepetto. Riding this success, Belly contributed numerous songs (some previously released and others newly recorded) to various compilations, including Stone Free: A Tribute to Jimi Hendrix.

Naturally, big things were expected for the group's followup record in 1995, which contained the title of King. Musically, the record delivered with a couple of singles (Superconnected and Now They'll Sleep). Unfortunately the radio and video support, in addition to the album sales figures, all paled in comparison to the Star record from two years earlier.

Upon fulfilling their planned tour dates, Tanya Donelly and her bandmates all went their separate ways in 1996, putting an end to the short-lived career of Belly. Donelly carried on with her solo career and the only notable activity from the Belly camp came in 2002 with the release of the Best Of collection, titled Sweet Ride.

Despite having a gold record and a handful of singles, Belly has become all but forgotten by most rock and roll afficiandos.

While not a groundbreaking or revolutionary group, I feel Belly deserves a little better. I am going to pay tribute to them in chronological order, or at least try to keep things chronological.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
From the songs posted, i'm really diggin it. May have to whip up a few downloads of their stuff to get a deeper feel for their music.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
From the songs posted, i'm really diggin it. May have to whip up a few downloads of their stuff to get a deeper feel for their music.

If you are going to research Belly, then you might as well keep an eye out for Throwing Muses, The Breeders and Tanya Donelly's solo stuff afterwards.

There are subtle differences between all of those projects of course but what you see here is a general idea of what you'll get.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
If you are going to research Belly, then you might as well keep an eye out for Throwing Muses, The Breeders and Tanya Donelly's solo stuff afterwards.

There are subtle differences between all of those projects of course but what you see here is a general idea of what you'll get.

I'll keep that in mind. Donelly has got a beautiful voice though. If anything, i'll get more music specifically for her. Very easy to listen to, very nice.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind. Donelly has got a beautiful voice though. If anything, i'll get more music specifically for her. Very easy to listen to, very nice.

Were you familiar with her before seeing this thread? I was about 13 when the first Belly album came out in '93 and used to watch alternative rock videos on MTV every day before and after school. I loved their singles from the moment I heard them.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Were you familiar with her before seeing this thread? I was about 13 when the first Belly album came out in '93 and used to watch alternative rock videos on MTV every day before and after school. I loved their singles from the moment I heard them.

I may have been, but my memory has gotten the best of me, so seeing this thread is sort of like i'm seeing it for the first time even if i've heard of her before.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Members online