Artists Who Have Fallen Into Self Parody

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
The subject line says it all.

This is your thread to name or incriminate artists who you think have descended into self-parody, either in their studio albums, live shows or just their personality.

Feel free to just name names or elaborate on those names.

If you wish, please also contribute your own criteria or definition for self-parody. For me, I think there is a difference between an artist having a particular sound or even being on autopilot than an artist who is guilty of self-parody.

Have at it. I'm going to keep my replies on ice just in case the topic goes over like a lead balloon and I desperately need to jumpstart it back to page 1 for a second try. (Admitting such a petty tactic is the first step towards recovery from it)

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Two words: Bret Michaels :heheh:

Does anyone take him seriously as an artist anymore?

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
Two words: Bret Michaels :heheh:

Does anyone take him seriously as an artist anymore?

Yeah i definitley agree with that. though personally I don't think he ever was an "artist".

I'd say Ozzy. The Osbournes show on MTV just ruined him. It turned him into a bumbling buffoon. Not that he wasn't kinda nutty before, but he was nutty in the cool, crazy prince of darkness way, but now the whole world has this aging nutcase view of him based on that show. It cheapened what he's done in the music world. And now that he's doing ridiculous commercials with the likes of Justin Bieber, It makes me wonder if he's got any integrity left at all.

I think it's pretty sad that a once revered rock legend has us laughing and pointing because he can't turn on the TV or he has to be chasing 20 dogs around cleaning up their crap.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Although I like him, and he has done some great albums over the years, Rod Stewart has really gone off the reservation with his "songbook" series. I could understand a one of tribute to the great old songs but he has forgotten that he used to Rock.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I think most of these artist being criticized for lack of rocking or for becoming goofy in their old age are just being realistic. They are old. Ozzy from the show was an old bumbling fan and I found it funny to watch but also cool that he has a realistic view and ability to laugh at himself. I just saw a quote from LG that made sense and I've always thought as well. We shouldn't have these artist on pedestals forever. In this case, they aren't going to be metal Gods forever so they will soften and evolve.

Ozzy started making a family Reality show and the thing we miss is that it represented a strong though crazy family. Good on him! Also he's been softened enough to make cheesy Beatles covers. The guys getting old and nostalgic for Christ sakes. Give him a break for still functioning at all after snorting fire ants and ingested Pharmacies worth of narcotics. We praise artist for their sex, drugs and Rock N' Roll primes and then kick them in the nuts when the consequences rear their ugly head.

Same with LG and the Rod Stewart example. He's older now. Those recordings are probably just as nostalgic for him as they are to the listening audience it's catered to. With the late 80's to 90's stuff growing up he had music in the vein of Bryan Adams and Sting which I liked but he was never a hard rocker in my opinion anyway. Anyway, just my thoughts! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I grew up with Rod Stewart, and to see him reduced to a "Lounge" singer is a mighty large drop Sooty. I give them the benefit of doing whatever they have to to make music, but he has about worn out his trip down nostalgia lane for me.

When he was doing his acoustic folk rock solo stuff, that was far better than his latest foray into the old classic catalog.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
^^I grew up with Rod Stewart, and to see him reduced to a "Lounge" singer is a mighty large drop Sooty. I give them the benefit of doing whatever they have to to make music, but he has about worn out his trip down nostalgia lane for me.

When he was doing his acoustic folk rock solo stuff, that was far better than his latest foray into the old classic catalog.

Oh I agree with the preference LG! I like the stuff I grew up with more as well and never bought one of those albums but I always applaud an artist who can shift styles (which is always a risk) and still pull it off successfully! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I applauded his first "Songbook" album...but now it's becoming plain that it's just about money. I just get a mercenary feel from him now, before he was a lot more true to his craft.

Don't blame him for trying to change his spots, but doesn't mean I have to like it.:D

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I applauded his first "Songbook" album...but now it's becoming plain that it's just about money. I just get a mercenary feel from him now, before he was a lot more true to his craft.

Don't blame him for trying to change his spots, but doesn't mean I have to like it.:D

True, maybe this stage of his career he's on autopilot! :grinthumb Fair question though, when you see this stuff do you just want them to retire? In my opinion older rockers "trying" to reclaim their glory years is just as much self parody as mellowing out. I think the smartest adapt! :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online