...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
and-you-will-know-us-by-the-trail-of-dead-logo-colour-web.jpg

e7b3cdba86ef1a01b7720e21f6aaf6e8.jpg

(Just a note before I start my storytelling! After hearing and being exposed to a lot of Progressive bands through the Progressive fan base on this site I've always been reminded of this band. I'll let you guys be the judge of whether they fit but they have a lot of those elements mixed with punk and are defined as art rock by Wiki! They are definitely classic rock influenced!)

rail_of_Dead_(live)_at_Quart_Festival_2005,_Norway.jpg

This is a group that I got into mid career and I've loved them ever since. It wasn't the first I had heard of them though. In college I had talked briefly to the guy at the counter and he was raving about this group. To me it sounded like some really heavy group I wouldn't care for so I didn't really follow up on it. The c.d. where he would be referring to at the time would've likely been this:

Source Tags and Codes
178-source-tags-and-codes.jpg

I'm glad I didn't pick up on it at the time (I bought it after two albums) because while they sounded different than what my original expectations were I would never have gotten into them if this were my introduction. It was way too rough around the edges and in my opinion they hadn't developed a full sound yet. Nonetheless, their original fan base holds to this one over the others. That's where we differ! :D

Here's a sample song to be fair! This one is liked by original fans!

Another Morning Stoner

The first song I heard was while working at a Best Buy in RI. It was really a simple acoustic song of an EP called

The Secret of Elena's Tomb
179-the-secret-of-elenas-tomb-ep.jpg

[GROOVESHARK]27154571[/GROOVESHARK]

Worlds Apart
B00075TZYA.jpg

I could tell from the commercial these guys were trying to make something epically big with bombast! Everything from the artwork to the instrumentation is epic on here and I love it. I'll only give a smattering of these tracks since I think it's best listened to as an album and I want to review as a whole!

Ode to Isis and Will You Smile Again For Me
(OtI is an intro to WYSAfM)

[GROOVESHARK]35419900[/GROOVESHARK]
(feels like a Pink Floyd moment at 3:30! really love the instrumentation there!)

Caterwaul
(my personal favorite for the energy)

There are two more albums I'll touch upon once I give people a fair chance to add on to this if they are familiar with them! I also plan a full album review for Worlds Apart! Peace!

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I love the cover of Worlds Apart, that alone intrigues me besides your usual eloquent prose describing them.

I'll get the album and check back after I play the complete work, I will never change in that regard, I Have to play a CD, Tape, Vinyl recording completely in sequence to get a proper barometer of the music.

Thanks for the intro Bry.:tup:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I love the cover of Worlds Apart, that alone intrigues me besides your usual eloquent prose describing them.

I'll get the album and check back after I play the complete work, I will never change in that regard, I Have to play a CD, Tape, Vinyl recording completely in sequence to get a proper barometer of the music.

Good to hear LG! Let me know what you think!

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
The follow up c.d.

So Divided
b000j233ye01ss500sclzzzzzzzv39260004rp1.jpg

was a very close rival in epic quality to Worlds Apart!

Here are it's standout Tracks!

[GROOVESHARK]11812654[/GROOVESHARK][GROOVESHARK]23398277[/GROOVESHARK]
(The above should be listened to consecutively as the intro bleeds into the next song)

Wasted State of Mind

Naked Sun

Eight Day Hell
(very Beatles)

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
Now these guys seem to have been around for a while now right??! I even joined their forum once.....have to get back to their "musical philosophy"......thanx for the heads up :):)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Now these guys seem to have been around for a while now right??! I even joined their forum once.....have to get back to their "musical philosophy"......thanx for the heads up :):)

LG, I just found a cool section about the artwork on Wikipedia:

In an interview with PopMatters, vocalist Conrad Keely described the development of the Worlds Apart cover art, stating that while he typically incorporates his free time drawings and paintings into the band's albums, this cover collage was more specifically designed.[3] However, Interscope insisted that he cite and clear all sources of his art, much of which was found in museums around the world. Given the improbability of the task, illustrator Cyril Van Der Haegen was hired to paint Keely's design and tweak various elements.[4] Keely also summarized the theme of the collage:

"I wanted an allegory depicting the history of human conflict. I wanted everybody to be fighting, like in Marvel Comics' Secret Wars, where all the superheroes are fighting each other. I actually wanted to sneak in one of the New Mutants."[5]

S&L-They were formed in '94! I don't know their musical philosophy myself, just that I love the music itself. If you know what their philosophy is feel free to contribute! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Catching up on my "Eloquent" buddies recommendations a little.

I just finished World's Apart, and I really liked it, I might have to explore these guys in more depth now.

Thanks Bry.:hab:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Catching up on my "Eloquent" buddies recommendations a little.

I just finished World's Apart, and I really liked it, I might have to explore these guys in more depth now.

Thanks Bry.:hab:

Nice, first New Radicals and now this! Double whammy today! :grinthumb If you like Worlds Apart then So Divided is the logical c.d. to follow up with! :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I forgot to touch upon there most recent release since I last worked on this so here goes:

Century of Self
the-century-of-self.jpg

Isis Unveiled

Bells of Creation

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^So how does this newest release stack up in your humble opinion Sooty??

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online