Alice Cooper (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Alice Cooper

Very Nice Bucky.:tup:

I am going to play "Billion Dollar Babies" right now after reading your Mother of all Alice Cooper Dissertation.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

Bucky:

Great review!

Right away the guillotine, the giant Cyclops, & the creepy eye make-up stood out. I looked at the song titles & seeing songs like “I Love the Dead”, “The Black Widow”, “Under My Wheels”, & “Go to Hell” I knew I had to buy this record.

Well yeah, that would go without saying.

In 1969 the band was part of Toronto’s Rock & Roll Revival Show featuring John Lennon, Chuck Berry, the Doors, Bo Diddley among others. Alice Cooper’s set was complete chaos as always & in the midst of all the chaos onstage Alice picked up a chicken that had been sitting on the stage & launched it into the audience where the crowd ripped it apart. Next day it was all over the news....

Yes, the rumour was that Alice had bitten the head off a live chicken and drank its blood. Upon hearing this, Frank Zappa gave his protege a call. When Alice started to protest that it was all an exaggeration, Frank interrupted with the words "Well whatever you didn't do, don't tell anybody you didn't do it!"

Incidentally, I was eighteen when "I'm Eighteen" was released!

:D :heheh:

Last edited:

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

Bucky!

Incredible review! You didn't write the whole thing in one sitting, did you?

According to Alice he never wanted the band to end but the other members felt that they should be concentrating more on the music rather than the theatrics.

Not surprising since the music was so very good! I still say it was a pity that Alice Cooper didn't continue as a band.

Before Alice Cooper made it big, the band used to play in London, Ontario on a fairly regular basis at Wonderland, a pavilion in a woodland setting where you could "swim and dance the night away". Other frequent visitors to Wonderland were Cat Mother & the All Night Newsboys, George Oliver & His Children and Grant Smith & the Power. I took in a memorable Crazy World of Arthur Brown concert at Wonderland on a hot, claustrophobic summer night. But Alice Cooper I always missed.

After the band hit big with "I'm Eighteen" though, the fellows were booked to play during orientation week in 1971 at the start of the school year on the practice field beside the football stadium at the University of Western Ontario. It was a pleasant late summer evening and the crowd was mellow - not surprising since Western has a reputation as the "country club" of Canadian universities. So a fellow from the student council took the stage to make a public service announcement urging the crowd to support whatever the designated orientation week charity happened to be. Then out of the blue a shout of "Get off the stage asshole" from right by the stage intruded on the polite inattention the councillor was getting. "Huh?!" I thought. "That sounds like something one of my drunken albeit callous buddies would yell." I was right. A couple of them had snuck in by crawling under the fence! :lols:

Alice Cooper came on all dressed in tight green skindiving suits and put on a memorable performance. Pausing on occasion to take a swig from the stubbies in which beer was sold in Canada at the time, Alice the singer didn't disappoint. During "I'm Eighteen", he substituted the lyrics "Drinking Labatt's 50 Ale" for whatever and baptised the front rows with the remaining contents of his bottle. The fellows certainly liked their beer.

A nurse came out to lead Alice off in a straight jacket at the end of "The Ballad of Dwight Fry". It was done so well that it at first appeared as if there was a very real problem on stage requiring medical attention! Alice hanged himself to close the show but it would seem from all subsequent reports that he's fully recovered from this unfortunate experience. :D

Nonetheless, a good time was had by all, including perhaps even the feckless student councillor!

:****:

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Here's my favorite Alice Cooper record, released in 1973 "Billion Dollar Babies".

No More Mr. Nice Guy

PinkFreud

Rock Junkie
Reaction score

I love Alice Cooper! Such a cool, relatable band. In the words of my dad: "Everything Alice Cooper did was for teenagers". When you think about it, their music really was best suited for the teenagers of the day, with their messages and timeless riffs sucking in anyone who was under 20 years old and still in that confused, awkward period of their lives.

rtbuck

Reaction score

Bucky!

Incredible review! You didn't write the whole thing in one sitting, did you?

Not surprising since the music was so very good! I still say it was a pity that Alice Cooper didn't continue as a band.

Before Alice Cooper made it big, the band used to play in London, Ontario on a fairly regular basis at Wonderland, a pavilion in a woodland setting where you could "swim and dance the night away". Other frequent visitors to Wonderland were Cat Mother & the All Night Newsboys, George Oliver & His Children and Grant Smith & the Power. I took in a memorable Crazy World of Arthur Brown concert at Wonderland on a hot, claustrophobic summer night. But Alice Cooper I always missed.

After the band hit big with "I'm Eighteen" though, the fellows were booked to play during orientation week at the start of the school year on the practice field beside the football stadium at the University of Western Ontario. It was a pleasant late summer evening and the crowd was mellow - not surprising since Western has a reputation as the "country club" of Canadian universities. So a fellow from the student council took the stage to make a public service announcement urging the crowd to support whatever the designated orientation week charity happened to be. Then out of the blue a shout of "Get off the stage asshole" from right by the stage intruded on the polite inattention the councillor was getting. "Huh?!" I thought. "That sounds like something one of my drunken albeit callous buddies would yell." I was right. A couple of them had snuck in by crawling under the fence! :lols:

Alice Cooper came on all dressed in tight green skindiving suits and put on a memorable performance. Pausing on occasion to take a swig from the stubbies in which beer was sold in Canada at the time, Alice the singer didn't disappoint. During "I'm Eighteen", he substituted the lyrics "Drinking Labatt's 50 Ale" for whatever and baptised the front rows with the remaining contents of his bottle. The fellows certainly liked their beer. Nonetheless, a good time was had by all, perhaps including even the feckless student councillor!

:****:

Hep Cat,
I love hearing stories like that. My sister seen Alice before he made it big but she doesn't remember much only that it was wild. I wish I could jolt her memory or paid attention to it when she first told me when I was 8 or 9.

I definitely did not do this all in one sitting & will probably add more stuff. I got a 92 on a term paper I did on him in my Junior year of HS. This was 1979 so the internet wasn't really around so I went down to the main public library & looked up articles from Life,Time, & other magazines they had on file from the early 70's plus I had my own Creem,Hit Parader,Circus, & Rolling Stone magazines(I used to go to used Book stores & find these magazines from the early 70's for 25 or 50 cents). I wrote 41 pages on him

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

I wrote 41 pages on him.

And you only got 92?! I remember what a chore getting 1500 words down on paper seemed to be when I was going to school. Either you didn't reference all your sources properly or the teacher was a hard marker.

Evidently a key to Alice's success in overcoming his alcohol addiction is that he gets up at 7:00 AM at least 300 days per year to play 36 holes of golf! He has in effect substituted a different less damaging addiction for the boozing.

Attachments

• alicecooper.jpg
    alicecooper.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I saw him on a Merv Griffin show so many decades ago I can't remember the year, and he was talking about his alcohol addiction. He had given up his drinking and found that golf helped get him through it. And now as the whole world knows he is a golf fanatic.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

When I met him it was one of the first things out of his mouth. It was a rainy weekend and he didn't think he'd get a golf game in the next day...:heheh:

That's his thing.

Here's a couple cool cuts from Goes To Hell

Watch this whole thing! Pretty shocking! They don't make television or guys like him anymore!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Members online