Alice Cooper (Official Thread)

rtbuck

Reaction score
Re: Alice Cooper ~ March 2010 Band of the Month

Alice_Cooper_-_The_Last_Temptation.jpg

In 1994 Alice began working on his next studio album which would return Alice to a full concept album this time dealing with good & evil. The result of the concept for the new album was a collaboration between Alice & DC Comics writer Neil Gaiman. The album’s original title was to be ‘Along Came a Spider’ but was changed to ‘The Last Temptation’.

The Last Temptation

Released: 1994
Label: Epic
Song Titles: Sideshow/ Nothing’s Free/Lost in America/Bad Place Alone/You’re My Temptation/Stolen Prayer/Unholy War/Lullabye/ It’s Me/Cleansed by Fire

‘The Last Temptation’ was released on CD & cassette & special editions included the first in a series of 3 comic books created by Neil Gaiman. The album kicks off with a great introduction tune titled ‘Sideshow’ which musically has the sound & styling from the ‘Welcome to My Nightmare’ album. The character from the album (whose name happens to be Steven) is bored to death & is in search for something to cure his boredom with hints of looking to illegal substances. He is guided throughout the album by an evil sideshow man who tries to get him into joining his twisted carnival which tempts his morality. “Nothing’s Free” is a dark piece of music where Steven is told to sign a contract but is told to remember that nothing is free. The tune has a cool riff running through it & guitarist Stef Burns steps up for a great solo. “Lost in America” is a great Alice Cooper tune with Alice’s fun & twisted humor wrapped together with some outstanding riffs which makes it another hard rock anthem by classic Cooper standards. There was a video of the song which had Beavis & Butthead rocking to it on one of their cartoon episodes. “Bad Place Alone” has Alice sounding at his best as Steven comes into contact with a couple of deceased street junkies. The tune is heavy sounding with a cool chorus that revisits Alice’s ‘School’s Out’ album. “You’re my Temptation” is filled with dark & heavy rhythms as Steven meets up with a demonic temptress while once again Burns shines on guitar. “Stolen Prayer” is a well written acoustic based song which features great vocals by Alice & backing vocals supplied by Chris Cornell who also contributes vocals to the following song “Unholy War” which revisits a mid 70’s hard rock style tune mixed with whining guitars & pounding rhythms. “Lullaby” is another great tune where Steven & the King of evil go back & forth against each other. Steven goes back in time revisiting a time when he always followed the rules & said his prayers which sets up a ballad co-wrote by Tommy Shaw & Jack Blades titled “It’s Me” which was released as a single. The album closes with “Cleansed by Fire” which is another dark piece written in the typical twisted Cooper style that revisits styling from Cooper’s ‘Goes to Hell’ & ‘From the Inside’ mixed with an awesome little riff that keeps showing up throughout the song. In the end Steven defeats Satan as the whole album teaches morality in its own twisted way.

Last edited by a moderator:

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

COOPER ANNOUNCES POSSIBLE ALBUM TITLE
This news is brought to you by VH1 Radio's Dave Basner
Alice Cooper announced on his radio show what he’s planning to call his next album. On his program, Nights with Alice Cooper, the shock rocker said, “[Our new album] hasn’t been recorded yet but we’ve got ten demos done already on it. I think it’s gonna be called The Night Shift.” No word on when Alice plans to put The Night Shift out but starting in late April, he’ll be touring all over North America. Get all the dates at AliceCooper.com.

rtbuck

Reaction score

In 1995 Alice embarked on a very brief tour of South America consisting of only 4 dates. The shows were very stripped down with no executions just classic Cooper Rock & Roll. The shows went over great & the final show was a Monsters of Rock theme featuring Alice, Ozzy, & Faith No More. Alice had left epic Records & signed on with Hollywood Records. In 1996 Alice went on a successful North American tour co-headlining with the Scorpions. One show at the Cabo Wabo Cantina in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico was filmed & recorded. Vh1 played a half hour special of the show & Alice released the show on CD titled ‘A Fistful of Alice’.

Fistful.jpg

A Fistful of Alice

Released: 1996
Label: Hollywood Records
Song Titles: School’s Out/ I’m Eighteen/ Desperado/ Lost in America/ Teenage Lament ‘74/ I Never Cry/ Poison/ Billion Dollar Babies/ Welcome to My Nightmare/ Only Woman Bleed/ Feed My Frankenstein/ Elected/ Is Anyone Home

Alice had a great sounding band with him on this album featuring guitarist Ryan Roxie who ended up collaborating with Cooper until 2006. Roxie’s guitar style was straight out of the 70’s influenced by the likes of Brian May & early Eddie Van Halen. Roxie does admit that one of his biggest influences is none other than…Keith….not Richards…but… Keith Partridge (David Cassidy)!!!. The band also featured guitarist Reb Beach of Winger, keyboardist Paul Taylor, bassist Todd Jensen, & drummer Jimmy DeGrasso. This is a phenomenal live album which has Coop sounding as good as ever. The album opens with Coop’s 1972 anthem “School’s Out” which is full of energy thanks to a triple guitar onslaught featuring Roxie, Beach, & special guest Sammy Hagar. Keeping the anthems coming the band launches into a guitar driven version of “I’m Eighteen”. Alice then says “Here’s a little Spanish song we know…It’s a song I wrote for Jim Morrison a long time ago”. The band performs Desperado & Alice sounds as good as he did on the original version from ’71. Alice introduces another friend & this time it is none other than Slash who leads the band through a kick ass version of “Lost in America”. The next song is announced for all of the glitter rockers as Alice surprises the crowd with “Teenage Lament ‘74” from 1974’s ‘Muscle of Love’ album. It is really unbelievable just how slick the band sounds. Alice then belts out his ballad from 1976 “I Never Cry” which is followed by some guitar feedback which rips into a thumping version of Alice’s huge hit from his ‘Trash’ album “Poison”. Up next is the classic title track from “Billion Dollar Babies” which is followed by a trip into Alice’s nightmare with a medley that begins with part of “Steven” & then goes into “Welcome to My Nightmare” & “Only Woman Bleed”(featuring Slash once again on guitar). Alice asks the crowd if they had seen ‘Wayne’s World’ & then he brings out another guest to help him out & this time it’s Rob Zombie as the band launches into “Feed My Frankenstein”. The concert ends with a rocking version of “Elected” which features Zombie & Slash. The final track on the album is a new studio song titled “Is Anyone Home” which is a fine tune in a typical 90’s rock style with Beatles overtones.

fd9c92c008a0cb870a5d7010.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In 1998 Warner Brothers Records (Who now owned Rhino Records) released a half hour set of the original band recorded live at the Whiskey a Go Go in 1969 which was a decent sounding recording that featured 7 songs from ‘Pretties For You’ & the theatrical “Nobody Likes Me”. The following year Rhino Records put out a long awaited 4 disc box set titled ‘The Life & Crimes of Alice Cooper’ which is a must have for any Cooper fan as it revisited Alice’s entire career complete with early singles, unreleased songs, demos, B-Sides, & of course all of the classic tunes.

41XM7MPBXCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

Alice then says “Here’s a little Spanish song we know…It’s a song I wrote for Jim Morrison a long time ago”. The band performs Desperado & Alice sounds as good as he did on the original version from ’71.

Interesting! I don't know if the Doors ever played it before Jim's untimely death later that year.

:(

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

Hip, hip, hooray for Bucky, Alice Cooper and the month of March which came on like a lion and stayed that way!

:rock:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I agree and even one of the members of Alice Coopers band stopped by to compliment him.:clap:

(And don't forget Bucky, just because the month is over doesn't mean you can't add to this thread, after all Fox and Hep have never stopped priming their threads.;))

rtbuck

Reaction score

In 1999 Alice signed on with ‘Spitfire Records’ & went into the studio to record his next album ‘Brutal Planet’ which is arguably his heaviest album ever. Alice co-wrote the entire album with bassist, guitarist, & keyboardist Bob Marlette (“Blow Me a Kiss” also credits Bob Ezrin in joining Cooper & Marlette & “Pessi-mystic” was an effort of Cooper, Marlette, & Brian Nelson (Alice’s long-time Assistant)). The band also featured Ryan Roxie (guitars), Phil X (guitars), & Eric Singer (drums).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c1/Brutalplanet.jpg/588px-Brutalplanet.jpg[img]

[YT]DA3OWll_Das[/YT]

‘Brutal Planet’

Released: 2000
Label: Spitfire Records
Song Titles: Brutal Planet/ Wicked Young Man/ Sanctuary/ Blow Me a Kiss/ Eat Some More/ Pick up the Bones/ Pessi-mystic/ Gimme/ It’s the Little things/ Take it Like a Woman/ Cold Machines

To start this review off, I have to say that this is probably my favorite Alice Cooper album since ‘From the Inside’ & one listen to this album is all it took for me to realize that Alice is not only the true King of Shock Rock but also the King of Metal. In 1998 the original line-up for Kiss released ‘Psycho Circus’ & in 2001 Ozzy released ‘Down to Earth’. Both albums were fine albums but in my opinion the true king of Shock Rock, Alice Cooper, totally blew those two albums out of the water. As I said the album is probably his heaviest album ever but the sound on it is so up with the times mixing a classic metal sound with a 90’s heavy industrial sound. The title track kicks off the album & is a perfect preview of what the entire album is like. Alice never sounded better vocally & the band is exceptional. I could dissect this entire album song by song but it would sound repetitive because there are no weak songs here & all the songs have the same sound & style with the exception of one ballad titled “Take it Like a Woman”. There are some songs that rise above the others such as the album’s 2nd track “Wicked Young Man” which has a cool driving riff running through it mixed with an unbelievable drum sound. At one point all you here is a thumping bassline & Alice snarls out “I got every kind of chemical pumping through my head, I read ‘Mein Kamf’ daily just to keep my hatred fed, I never ever sleep I just lay in my bed & dream everyone is dead …” & then that familiar riff quietly restarts followed by a loud crack of the drums & the song just rocks out. “Blow Me a Kiss”, “Pick Up the Bones”, & “Gimme” all are superb tracks that are a cut above the rest, especially “Gimme” which was released as a single. One of my favorite tracks off the album is “It’s the Little Things” because I love the thumping rhythm that kicks the tune off which revisits Johnny Thunders cover of “Pipeline” or the intro Great White performs on their cover of “Substitute” from their debut record.

In May of 2000 Alice embarked on the Brutal Planet Tour & in July they recorded a show for a DVD release titled “Brutally Live”. Once again as is the case with any Cooper video or DVD it’s worth getting. Alice once again uses the guillotine for his means of execution which I never get tired of seeing although the gallows is my favorite way of execution. There are a few surprises on the DVD as Alice brings back “It’s Hot Tonight” from his ‘Lace & Whiskey’ album, “Caught in a Dream” from ‘Love it to Death’, “You Drive Me Nervous” from ‘Killer’, & a quick under 2 minute version of the Who’s “My Generation”. The cool thing about this DVD is that it also came with an audio CD of the show.

[COLOR="Red"]Removed dead video[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]MP edit: Video removed from Youtube[/COLOR]

[YT]mZCRsRBPxeQ[/YT]

Last edited by a moderator:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notmrdurden

Staff online

Members online