4 signs the Beiber backlash has begun

Reaction score
He's the Leif Garrett of today .. oh BTW here's Leif nowadays Lol
lgarrettmug1.jpg

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Actually, I never give the kid a second thought outside of here. He's an easy target, for sure.

So easy, in fact, that I let alot of punch lines go. I mean alot.

You know, Soot, there is a bunch of Beiber bashing here.

Just speaking for myself, if I had to theorize why, I'd say I have a certain amount of contempt.

It's not the kid himself, mind you.

It's what he stands for that irritates me.

He encapsulates what the music industry is all about. It can be described in one word:

Lazy.

In the 'old days', scouts went out looking for talent. And the bands toured their a$$es off in small venues everywhere in the hopes that one of those scouts would 'discover' them.

There was a lot of work to be done by all involved. And it was a gamble because these unknown bands weren't a lock to hit it big.

Today, however, no one has to leave their office. They have cattle calls (Idol, etc) that bring the *ahem* talent to one place. Or, in Beiber's case, they get 'discovered' on You Tube.

There's no risk in signing artists today.

Millions of people voted, or watched the YT vid, so the suits already know they're gonna make money.

Which, you can't really fault. It's smart business. They're gonna make money, and the artist makes money.

Today, they're signed, not necessarily because they're the best, but because they're the best of this bunch.

Huge difference

I get that and I respect how you laid that out. There's a lot of truth to how music has evolved into something with more ways to get opportunities. I don't think it's a bad thing that a artist can get signed off of youtube personally. I do respect the tour ethic but I can't begrudge someone or the idea of better opportunity. The progression of life has always been about finding ways to better our situations. If you are intitially playing your music on youtube there's got to be some assemblance of being a person who's practiced enough music to A.) Be a music lover and B.) Be someone who's practiced their craft young or not. If you are bad you won't find an audience and get those hits. Justin Bieber is not a bad singer and can play music organically ie. instruments. He played guitar and piano in his initial youtube vids and he releases an acoustic version of his albums as well.

Am I saying he's great, a visionary or what I consider ? **** no! :heheh: Is he good enough for his age and the audience he's targeted for. **** yeah! :D Even at this point I looked up that he's still just 19. I don't get grown adults picking on kid music made for kids. I'm not saying that opinions on his music aren't valid but targeting the youths music which is supposed to be removed from how us cynical old bastards see things is pretty asinine IMO. Pop for kids should be a bubblegum, sugar rushed, flashy scene just like Disney movies as pandering and formulaic as they've always been should be. You're only young and that carefree once. Let the cynical rebellion come later.

As far as there being no risk in the industry in some ways there's even more risk. Even the winners of American Idol have fallen flat. Is it because of the talent. Not at all. It's because music listeners as a whole are fickle as Hell. They obviously like the talent when they are on the show but everything from the first single to how the artist is promoted afterward to what overall genre the album falls into can make or break final sales. With less people actually BUYING music the music industry has to find a way to risk less. It's a business that contains art within. I've found plenty of artist from those shows I respect and I know in some ways it's harder to progress on that show in many levels than anything.

It's funny because with the internet I can listen to whatever I want and not hear a note of Bieber. I hardly see how he's unavoidable. :heheh: I guess if you base your music only on who's charting high but for me I ignore the charts completely. I'm resourceful enough to find plenty of what I want and let the kids have their icons. Honestly, I want Bieber to succeed a long time just so the people waiting for a guy who did nothing wrong but make pop music to fall can start grumbling overtime. :D

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Am I saying he's great, a visionary or what I consider ? **** no! Is he good enough for his age and the audience he's targeted for. **** yeah! Even at this point I looked up that he's still just 19. I don't get grown adults picking on kids music made for kids. I'm not saying that opinions on his music aren't valid but targeting the youths music which is supposed to be removed from how us cynical old bastards see things is pretty asinine IMO. Pop for kids should be a bubblegum, sugar rushed, flashy scene just like Disney movies as pandering and formulaic as they've always been should be. You're only young and that carefree once. Let the cynical rebellion come later.

Sooty, you just nailed it. Probably one of the most well written and reasoned things I’ve read on here. It’s basically what I’ve been saying for ages about these teen stars. No I don't listen to Beiber unless I have to at home, or maybe in the car, which happens all the time if you've got a young family, but I've never understood all the hate. He's just a kid who sings pop songs, period. He's talented and cute, he sings, he dances, young girls scream at him, he sells a shitload of records and tickets, OK, it’s not musical rocket science, but I don't get all the outrage that some adults seem to experience over his mere existence? Talk about some people being insecure…they should just stick to their Frank Zappa and Barclay James Harvest bootlegs or whatever it is that rubs their buddah, instead of dismissing an entire teen-pop generation and their pop idols, which I read a lot. I actually don’t think I ever saw our daughter more elated than when she came home from going to see a Justin Beiber show a couple of years ago with her friends, it was her first real pop concert, she was 11 at the time and she will probably never forget it. Made me happy, and proud as a father, so what do I care if it isn’t freakin’ Pink Floyd at Pompei or something? If some people in the media, or rock fans, want to start a backlash against Beiber, well good luck with that one, he’s still only 19 and so probably isn’t going anywhere for quite a few years, so knock yourselves out.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Meh...all these media circus side shows just put more money in their coffers.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online