1969's Best Rock Albums

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Interesting Connie, I don't recall it.. but was Altamont really that big of a deal?
America courted the Stones full on... then got bit by Sonny Barger & Co.
Some massive albums for sure. In my little world we were served violence in 1969- 3 times a day..
The nuns that 'taught me'.
Vietnam news.
Northern Ireland.

E-Z

Reaction score
Interesting Connie, I don't recall it.. but was Altamont really that big of a deal?
America courted the Stones full on... then got bit by Sonny Barger & Co.
Some massive albums for sure. In my little world we were served violence in 1969- 3 times a day..
The nuns that 'taught me'.
Vietnam news.
Northern Ireland.
With regards to the Altamont festival I have read 'the book' about it and it's a good read along with seeing some of the film footage that appears on the Stones American tour of late 1969. With regards to the actual film that was shot I would like to see some more of the film especially of Santana's performance (apparently Carlos Santana refuses any requests for Santana's performance to be used in a film of the event) and the CSN&Y performance which was a short set before they 'got the hell out of it' and performed another gig that evening elsewhere.

Apparently Rock Skully roadie/manager of The Grateful Dead initially had a lot to do with organising the 'Stones free concert' which would have also included 'the Dead' but the festival site which originally was going to be in the Golden Gate Park was declined by the local authorities before another site was chosen and again was declined and eventually Altamont Speedway track was offered by the Speedway owner for nothing but he wanted the 'free publicity' which he certainly received after the killing of Meredith Hunter along with the involvement of the SF chapter of the Angels who were not only involved in the killing of Meredith Hunter in front of the stage in full view of the Stones and also for there 'heavy handed' security of the event using pool ques to 'crack some heads' to keep some order.

Nixon in the White House but even though some American Army and Marines units are withdrawn from Vietnam the conflict would go on until 1975. In 1970 the Kent University campus killings of four students who were part of a larger anti-Vietnam war protest and who were shot dead by National Guardsmen was the catalyst for Neil Youngs song Ohio in 1970.

The British Army is deployed to Northern Ireland in August of 69 (and finally left in 2007).

Music wise hard to say cos 1970 was THE BIG YEAR for that but in 1969 off the top of my head maybe Cream's Goodbye Cream and Blind Faith's only studio album also maybe Santana's debut album and the CS&N debut album in late 1969.

Last edited:

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Chicago Transit Authority is on the list, so I'm happy enough with it.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online