☆The Plenty Of 1970☆

E-Z

Reaction score
I had a re-listen to Norman Greenbaum's cd and to be honest apart from the no.1 world wide hit single Spirit In The Sky the rest of the material is of Norman singing solo with an acoustic guitar in a 1930s 'hobo style' although several tracks towards the end of the cd are of a 'full band' playing with several guitar riff heavy songs.

Last edited:

Lynn

Reaction score
Pre-snowflake and Nannystate lyrics here-
Ray Dorset performing a shortlived 'jugmusic' classic.
Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime.

I played the single to death. I distinctly remember it being quoted as the single that broke the 10/- barrier! I later bought their album and am still a fan.

Last edited:

Lynn

Reaction score
This cat lived not far from me, and is buried some 25 miles from my gaff.
Edwin Starr - War.

I used to do the live sound for Edwin Starr. He was one of the few singers that hated the sound of his own voice. So much so, in fact, that he never wanted any monitors within earshot and insisted that all the monitors were positioned in front of the other band members. He was also, rather annoyingly, a frustrated sound engineer who insisted on singing from behind the mixing desk during the soundcheck so that he could fiddle with all the knobs. The guitarist would insist that as soon as Edwin left the room, we should put all the controls back as we had them in the first place! Fortunately we knew the rig well enough to do this easily; even in those days before digital presets. RIP Edwin. I hope you have plenty of knobs to twiddle in the afterlife! LOL

Lynn

Reaction score
The 70's was the most musically diverse for the UK charts of any decade before or since. I really wish we could get that diversity back into the mainstream. These days, not only are most of the charts filled with very similar genres of music, but some of the records are so identical that it's difficult to tell one from another. All the singers sound the same, even the ones of different genders! I am the kind of person who loves a diversity of music and although my main loves are classic rock and reggae, I also like to hear everything from mariachi to metal, country to comedy, disco to dubstep, glam to grunge, and polka to punk thrown into the mix as well. Just look at the genre diversity in the 70's UK top 100...
https://www.uk-charts.top-source.info/1970-to-1979.shtml

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Even though on a personal level this particular year was fairly crap for me.... 1970 was not shy in letting the 1960's and us know.. that this was the start of the rock decade.
Mick Bolton was some man for one man...
UFO - Boogie. #1970

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
According to some the 1960s ended around 1974 which I tend to agree with.

As far as rock music is concerned the first half of the 1970s between 1970-1975 was rocks 'golden age' when many established bands of the day released there finest work.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online