13th Floor Elevators: Past & Present (Official Thread)

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Re: 13th Floor Elevators: Past & Present

Big fan of Roky and the 13th Floor Elevators both past ad future got a bunch of live roky bootlegs and albums. The Okkervil River and roky album looks great. Look forward to it.

Have you guys seen the movie, You're Gonna Miss Me, such a messed up life.
51bDFA0XdqL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I saw Roky in 2007 for his first performance live in NYC unreal that 13th floor elevators only played the southwest.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

No. When was the movie released? Is it specifically about Roky Erickson?

:dunno:
yeap its all about Roky's screwy life it came out I think two years ago to very limited release I saw it at a special screening.

he is the bio of the movie:

"This is the story of Roky Erickson: manic frontman for the legendary band The 13th Floor Elevators, creators of psychedelic music and muse to Janis Joplin. YOURE GONNA MISS ME is a disturbingly intimate portrait of an imploding family and the struggle between modernized medicine and religion. Known for his colossal heroin & LSD binges, struggles with schizophrenia, and an unthinkable term at Rusk Hospital for the Criminally Insane, Roky went missing from the world. YOURE GONNA MISS ME reveals the shocking & triumphant truth behind one of Rocks great mysteries.
The 13th Floor Elevators were one of the great cult psychedelic bands. Led by the inimitable Roky Erickson, the band produced some of the greatest underground rock music in American music history. YOU'RE GONNA MISS ME is a documentary shot during Erickson's 53rd year on the planet. Director Keven McAlester finds the former singer living as a recluse in Texas. His mother, Evelyn, is the only person who keeps in regular contact with him. Fans of Erickson's music and his legendarily oddball (and often drug-induced) behavior will be delighted to find that he is still as eccentric as his legend dictates. Erickson possesses only a few teeth, has a penchant for collecting junk mail, and spends most of his days watching cartoons. McAlester's film focuses on Erickson's life, the strange relationship he has with his mother, and the attempts to rescue Erickson from the clutches of Evelyn. It all makes for fascinating viewing, and is sure to be poured over by music fans who have been starved of any concrete evidence about Erickson's situation for many years."

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

That is a very informative post AK, I never even heard of Roky before a couple of days ago.:grinthumb

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

Finally....I was waiting for a thread on Roky and the Elevators......wow, what a great artist he was...and to all the dudes who think he was mad, I say get l**t:):):).
Some years ago, the music industry acknowleged unpaid royalties to him.....better late than never.

roky.png

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

Bobbyg:

If you haven't heard it their first album "Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators" is a classic.

Are there any other 13th Floor Elevators' albums you would recommend?

:huh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online