YouTube (The Talent Pool)

APageMark

Reaction score
Tim "Ripper" Owens (Judas Priest tribute band)
Arnel Pineda (introduced to Neal Schon via YouTube)
Tommy DiCarlo (ex-Home Depot worker found on YouTube and now sings for Boston)

and now..

Benoit David, singer for a number of Canadian Yes-Tribute bands, gets an offer to replace Jon Anderson for a tour, based on his tribute bands' YouTube performance.

What are your toughts about bands plugging holes with YouTube sound-alikes? A necessity born of convenience or a lazy approach to band integrity?

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
Well, I have to tell you, I am kind of surprised to see Yes take this route.

It doesn't surprise me to see Boston or Journey do this. These days, they are really nostalgia acts, and in my opinion, the people who are going to these shows want to see the band the way they remember them. Without fresh, relevant albums that are going to sell, they almost have to rely on the nostalgia crowd to keep them going.

Yes, on the other hand, is a band that seems like a band that would spend time to find a quality singer, and work them into the group, as opposed to finding a parrot. It really surprises me they would do this.

I guess in the end it is a band decision as far as who they want to attract, and how they want to carry on. Personally, the bands that are finding soundalikes instead of braving new ground are likely the groups I would likely not be inclined to see or purchase albums from.

billtjr51

Reaction score
Well, I have to tell you, I am kind of surprised to see Yes take this route.

It doesn't surprise me to see Boston or Journey do this. These days, they are really nostalgia acts, and in my opinion, the people who are going to these shows want to see the band the way they remember them. Without fresh, relevant albums that are going to sell, they almost have to rely on the nostalgia crowd to keep them going.

Yes, on the other hand, is a band that seems like a band that would spend time to find a quality singer, and work them into the group, as opposed to finding a parrot. It really surprises me they would do this.

I guess in the end it is a band decision as far as who they want to attract, and how they want to carry on. Personally, the bands that are finding soundalikes instead of braving new ground are likely the groups I would likely not be inclined to see or purchase albums from.

I have to agree with you Gearjammer.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online