Your Favourite Pieces.

E-Z

Reaction score
^^I'm not buying anymore used Classical vinyl albums, usually they are damaged or noisy. I am happy with my CD collection, and they did a much better job with Classical recordings than Rock did with theirs on CD's.

I have bought some new Classical vinyl LP's, but 2 of them are really noisy for some reason and that pissed me off no end. My one complaint would be for vinyl plants to have some sort of computerized quality control check of the finished record, that way you won't order one and get a copy with a gouge in the surface which I have experienced twice so far. The one drawback about buying vinyl records, classical or any other genre.

Thats the reason that i stopped buying vinyl records back in 1989 an embraced the humble compact disc.

Vinyl records of the late 1980s (in the UK) were either 'warped or had scratches on the playing surface or both when bought new from record shops' thats why I WOULD NEVER GO BACK TO BUYING VINYL AGAIN. I believe vinyl records are making abit of a come back?. Not with this kiddy they ain't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. :wank:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
What the pressing plants always needed was a little man in a white coat who listened to every album before putting it into a white paper sleeve. If there was surface noise, scratches, jumps, clicks, etc, he could shred them. He could also check for the offcuts finding their way into the package. Anyone who set up a business pressing to the standard of the old Polydor Deluxes and checking them individually would make some money, methinks.

E-Z

Reaction score
Yeah Rocker's & Metalhead's i do like some classical stuff mostly Wagner and bits of Elgar and Bach and a few other's but the problem with this classical music is after a while i'm dying to hear a lead guitar or a drum solo which as you all know there ain't that many in classical music?. :tongue:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
What the pressing plants always needed was a little man in a white coat who listened to every album before putting it into a white paper sleeve. If there was surface noise, scratches, jumps, clicks, etc, he could shred them. He could also check for the offcuts finding their way into the package. Anyone who set up a business pressing to the standard of the old Polydor Deluxes and checking them individually would make some money, methinks.

Would be easy enough for the plants to set up a computer scanner now to do that, if they did maintain the highest quality that would help everyone in the vinyl business.

I haven't had any trouble getting replacements for the new albums I've ordered, but it is a hassle.

And EZ RIDER...while I can't argue CD's are quieter they are not even close to the quality of a proper pressing of the old rock and roll we grew up with. The list of records I could post is extensive that put CD's to shame as far as the music goes.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
There's no substitute for the human touch.

In the seventies/early eighties, I bought very few vinyl albums that didn't have to be returned and that was a hassle.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^The quality now is very good Martin, of the 70+ new 180 gram vinyl albums I've bought, only 4 have been flawed.

And the stores I bought them from both online and brick and mortar got me replacement copies with no hassles.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy my CD's too, of the newer music from the 90's to the present, but the old classics well once I listen to Magical Mystery Tour on vinyl the CD is complete rubbish by comparison. That is one recording I would use to demonstrate what has been lost by poor transfers to 16-44 digital.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I've got a number of Beatles CDs, but most were early transfers and are not properly remastered. I am not sure if my copy of Magical Myster Tour is a remaster or not. They seem to keep reissuing The Beatles at high prices, but I don't know how these reissues differ beyond the packaging. Apparently a 3 x CD of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is due today and you would think it had been reissued often enough.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I've got 3 different versions of Beatles CD's, and can say with confidence they sound absolutely pathetic compared to the vinyl album.

Sort of like listening to your kids playing music with the door closed you are missing so much it just doesn't sound right.

I have a 45 RPM vinyl edition of FM's White Album, which I consider a far better record than Rumours, but if I wanted a new copy of that one I would buy the 45 RPM vinyl as well, they sound stupendous.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online