why no rush in my collection

Black Dahlia

A Seasoned Witch
Reaction score
I began a veeerrry long addiction to Rush in 1984, when "Grace Under Pressure" came out.

In 1982, I was becoming aware of music other than KISS. I had known of Rush from the monster hit "New World Man", but being only 12 years old at the time, as soon as I saw a picture of Geddy Lee, I hated them. (Sorry... but I was 12, and John Cougar was MUCH better looking!! :tongue: )

What grabbed me was a line in "Red Sector A" which was: "I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed". Deep in the heart of The Cold War, that line, along with that perfect 80's blend of synth and guitar, just hooked me.

Looking back... the whole GUP album seems like the most radio-friendly of them all. I guess you can say that it is the easiest to listen to, for someone who doesn't know too much about Rush but is trying to get into them.

Grace Under Pressure is.... a polarizing album for Rush fans en masse; some say too much synth, others say every song sounds the same... Geddy Lee, back in 1987 had actually said that he thought Grace was too heavy on guitar, and that it was prob a reaction to the too-heavy-on-synth Signals album.

Now that you know my introduction to Rush, I can tell you that my first two Rush albums were 1) "Grace Under Pressure" and 2) "Exit... Stage Left".

I suggest you start here, where I started.

Last edited:

rocknrollpestcontroll

Jammin On The Drums
Reaction score
my favriot album by rush is Signals. don't know if that's the best place to start.
and they deffiently are an acquired taste! I used to not like them atall outside of one of two songs but they grow on you. 2112, or Moving Pictures are probably good places to start.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online