What is todays music??

leewelsh

Reaction score
Honestly people, what is going on with todays music? Its all Indie bollocks! Whatever happened to great guitarists like Jimmy Page, drummers like Keith Moon, Bassists like john entwistle and singers like Mick Jagger? And im not just talking about their talent, im talking about their attitudes and stage presence.

anyone agree?

P

peterpanman

Honestly people, what is going on with todays music? Its all Indie bollocks! Whatever happened to great guitarists like Jimmy Page, drummers like Keith Moon, Bassists like john entwistle and singers like Mick Jagger? And im not just talking about their talent, im talking about their attitudes and stage presence.

anyone agree?

Nope. That stuff is so moldy. I love classic 80s synths.

Zombeels

Reaction score
just stop listening to the radio or watching MTV and you will be fine.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
Honestly, from what I hear in the indie stuff, there seems to be a determined effort to be "low-fi" as opposed to "polished", and "untrained" as opposed to "well-trained" or the idea of "excelling at one's instrument". And in a lot of cases, it seems to be a matter of posturing and image rather than reality, because there are some pretty talented people out there doing lower quality music than they're capable of. I think of Sufjan Stevens or Akron/Family (two indie darlings that I actually enjoy listening to, but wish they'd work just a little harder at their craft).

I think it may be interesting to see how some of these artists mature in the next few years. Meanwhile, I think they need to get over their attitude of being so reactionary against "overproduction", and actually produce better crafted and better sounding records.

eccentric man

Reaction score
i think your confusing modern indie with the 90s anti-corporate attitude RR.

i don't think it's so much a matter of current indie bands trying to sound lo-fi but that it's the quality of the equipment available at their disposition on their level. perhaps if record labels hadn't been ******* over musicians from the get go more new bands wouldn't be so apprehensive of signing with a major and getting access to the resources necessary to produce a high quality recording. instead we get stuff crafted from wherever it's made.

i don't think it's so much a matter of posturing but a matter of not feeling a need to be more than they are. modern musicians don't seem to be interested in putting up a facade of grandeur like so many of their contemporaries from decades past.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
No, this is different. I can tell, at least in these two artists that I mentioned, that the capability to be more is there, and they're not fulfilling that potential, because now and then there's a track that stands heads-and-shoulders above and beyond most of their work. Honestly, it's the very same quality that drives me crazy about Paul McCartney's choice to be mediocre most of the time (accept on certain albums such as his latest, for some reason).

eccentric man

Reaction score
i guess it's the slacker attitude coming full circle or something. basically if you excel at your job for a week your bosses are going to expect you to operate at that level every week. if a musician compiles all their greats they're going to be expected to maintain that level throughout their career. it's hard to say if it's laziness or self preservation but by offering some standout tunes amongst a disc full of filler it allows a musician to prolong their career without having to deal with having to top that one really great album every time.

basically would you rather have 1 or 2 really amazing sufjan stevens discs and then nothing? or a new SS disc with 1 or 2 really amazing tunes every year or so?

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I'm no fan of indie bollocks (yet).

But man Metal these days is better than ever.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online