What if Van Hagar never broke up?

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateclassicrock.com

VanHagar.jpg

In a new interview commemorating the 30th anniversary of Van Halen‘s 5150 album, former vocalist Sammy Hagar says his first departure from the band, back in 1996, was a big mistake on their part.

“Breaking up then was the worst timing they could have possibly done,” he told Rolling Stone. “Grunge was kicking everyone’s ass but ours. … I think if we had stuck all that out and kept making good records, we could still probably be a real thing, probably what Led Zeppelin would be if they were still around.”

With the band’s founding and most recent frontman David Lee Roth singing possible farewell songs to the group, current bassist Wolfgang Van Halen working on a solo album and Hagar trading friendly messages with Eddie Van Halen on Twitter, there’s been speculation that Hagar may return for a third stint with the group. Just to take this line of completely unconfirmed fantasy booking a step further, presumably this could also mean the return of original bassist Michael Anthony, who now performs alongside Hagar in both the Circle and Chickenfoot.

Hagar’s quick to downplay such thoughts – “I think we lost that opportunity” – but also admits the “Van Hagar” lineup had something special. “There are certain bands that have that thing, and Van Halen was certainly one of them,” he said. “I would like to have seen what Ed and I could have done as songwriters.”

Read More: Sammy Hagar Ponders: What If 'Van Hagar' Never Broke Up? | Sammy Hagar Ponders: What If 'Van Hagar' Never Broke Up?

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
What self-aggrandizement, comparing them to Zeppelin. Halen with Roth was a lot closer to that, they even used to cover some of Zepp's later songs.

If Zeppelin had continued, they wouldn't have been Van Hagar in 1996. They probably would have been Van Hagar in 1986. But 1996? Come on, dummy. Most classic rock bands followed a pretty clear progression. They got glamier in the 80s and then back to basics in the 90s. Stones, Petty, Neil, no reason to think Zepp wouldn't do the same.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Would have been better than the average fest that was A Different Kind of Truth imo.

EJD1984

Reaction score
Musically, they were better with Hagar. IMO

I'd love to see Sammay return. Though he may be correct that the timing has passed.

I did actually like his idea years ago of a singer-flip-flop tour. He was on board, but I think Roth was the hold out on the concept.

Personally I've always seen Van Halen and Van Hagar as two different bands.

Maybe it's just time to let the band gracefully pass into history.

TheWhalerfan

Lovus My Avatarus
Reaction score
I think they would have stunk, because the last bits they made together stunk pretty bad. Great group, tons of talent with both singers but they just fell off the "good idea" wagon, set it on fire, and kicked it down the never ending hill.

Loved the earlier stuff up with Roth, can appreciate 5150, but since then VH has just become a victim of too many egos that have destroyed the name. I still have a ton of respect for the individual members musically, but as a group they have stunk for 30 odd years...time to hang it up.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online