What country is the most avant-garde in radio play?

MerlynKing

Daniel L Newhouse
Reaction score
Avant-Garde is the term that used to be used for "progressive."

Well I'm wondering if we adopted laws from other countries what would get the American music industry going again. The UK has all of those fantasy novels and RR Martin's book deal. They may be best for copyright law. Belgium has the highest voter turnout. Belgium for electioneering and press law? What about broadcast law? Unless its progressive it gets boring. The playlists in the United States have gotten better. Its not just the money, its the subjective content that matters.

I found a web site called Radio Garden where I can listen for myself. After trying a couple of countries, the answer is Canada.

Between Helsinki and Montreal really. Helsinki, Finland broadcasts in English.

Last edited:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
England used to be great for different shows and Prog etc.. Radio Nottingham at 7pm would belt out Focus, King Crimson et al.... but it all seemed to fade, Ireland ain't bad... but it's on at insomniac time.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
And it certainly isn't South Africa either. All the main english speaking radio stations are owned by the same corporation and play different variations of popular muzak. We listen to a couple of English rock channels as well as a Canadian rock show. Nothing really progressive anymore like in the old days. Can anyone recommend a great radio station? Maybe @Frands who always seems to be on a different musical wavelength?

MerlynKing

Daniel L Newhouse
Reaction score
Some more information on America. It comes in #56 in the world in crime, with Finland being #1 and Switzerland #3. Finland is also one of 3 countries getting a perfect 100 on the Cato Institute's Index of freedom along with Sweden and Norway. The Scandinavian countries! America's measure: 83.

Also, they have taken down the SAT verbal scores - China #1 and Switzerland #2. The math scores are too close together to mean as much.

Last edited:

michael 802

Reaction score
AS a 72 year old dude who was there for a whole lot of change and saw a large number of greats in person (SMALL venues), I have to shout out for WWOZ- New Orleans- for a really nice variety of everything- including 'world music'.

MerlynKing

Daniel L Newhouse
Reaction score
Since this became a Nightwish related thread, I thought I'd share my minor rewrite of the B-side "Sleepwalker (heavy version)."

My version:
Close your eyes
Sense the ocean where passion lies
Verily, the senses
Abandon all defenses
A place between sleep and awake
End of innocence, unending masquerade
That's where I'll wait for you
Hold me near you
So close I'll sear you
Seeing, believing
Dreaming, receiving
End of innocence, impending masquerade
Sleepwalker, s-e-d-u-c-e me (this is hard to get by the censors, more grammatical than "seducing")
I dare enter your ecstasy
Lay down now to sleep
In my dreams you're mine to keep

Original version:
Close your eyes
Feel the ocean where passion lies
Silently the senses
Abandon all defenses
Hold me near you
So close I sear you
Seeing, believing
Dreaming, deceiving
Sleepwalker seducing me
I dare to enter your ecstasy
Lay yourself now down to sleep

I'd point out that children do not like masquerades, and the song seams targeted at an experience while very young. I've been told there's a masquerade in "Eyes Wide Shut."

K, now that I've watched the movie I'd classify it as horror because of the black mass and a murder mystery. Mrs Kidman finds the mask that Mr Cruise leaves at the mansion and leaves it on his bed at the end. That seams to signal that she will divorce him some day. This is the same couple from Days of Thunder. I tried watching Moulin Rouge and it seams very silly.

Anyway, the password is "Corinthize" and it means fornicate. The password they give him is a typical false password given out amongst children, "Fidelio." The meaning of the word "Corinthize" is from brainscape.com. I had forgotten about it. It's under "bible study."

There is a humurous tack to the story of Eyes Wide Shut, when William wants to find a black mass, he asks an old classmate whose qualification is being a musician.

IIRC, Satanists have 8 levels of password, Corinthize is only the first. The eighth is the secret name of the mansion in Eyes Wide Shut. The devil does have a secret full name, "Fidelio" is the one that will damn you unless you know its fake. I wouldn't know it unless I knew saint Michael's name were Michael I Ledeen.

Also, the first password of heaven is "charity," which according to the bible is a Christian's first virtue. The 10th is "lacrimae" which means "angel's tears."

For the other side, the 9th password is "serendipity" and the 10th is "sin." The irony is that saint Michael, not the devil, knew the 10th password to Satanism.

There is a Christian version of a masquerade but I don't remember it being altogether to my taste.

If the password to the 10th level of heaven is "lacrimae" this is the same as saying that the 10th level of heaven is named "lacrimae." Not the same for hell. The password for the 11th level of hell is "lethargy." The place is called "grim" by saint Michael or "mordant" by the devil. Mordant implies the practice of mordantry, which is ****** with your father.

I think the 11 level of heaven is "mend."

The thing is, adults will coerce children into black mass. You need to know your passwords just like you really need a towel for interstellar travel. Another one, and I **** you not, I think the 12 level of hell has the password "Grimlock." Saint Michael calls it "****." The devil calls it "Sludge."

Charity as the chief virtue of Christianity comes out from a printed New Testament I received in prison. The bible is unfortunately somewhat randomly redacted.

The idea is that, if you know the passwords, because you should have permission to be there in the first place, they'll let you go!

Also, the idea of musicians making a deal with the devil originates from a play called Faust. I'm reading it and the contract appears to be with the Austrian emperor. Was that the reason for Anschluss Adolf? Supposedly signed at the Crossroads in Leipzig. It's not easy to follow, there's a lot of ancillary conversation. Crossroads is also a good movie.

I remember guitar lessons. Some story about the Crossroads "...." Me, "What city can you find a history of the Crossroads." Reply, "Vicksburg."

The white pages listing of the devil, which isn't that osbscure is "Robert ..." it might be Robert H Downey. Not to be confused with Robert J Downey. That is not his most hidden name.

Last edited:

MerlynKing

Daniel L Newhouse
Reaction score
The more folk music I listen to, the more I like the original lyrics, I'd make the change later in the song rather than earlier

My version:
Close your eyes
Feel the ocean where passion lies
Silently the senses
Abandon all defenses
Hold me near you
So close I'll sear you <-- I changes to I'll​
Feeling, believing <-- Seeing changes to feeling
Dreaming, deceiving
Sleepwalker s-e-d-u-c-e me <-- "seducing me" becomes "****** me"
I dare be your ecstasy "enter" sounds too explicit
Now lay yourself down to sleep

Last edited:

MerlynKing

Daniel L Newhouse
Reaction score
About China's SAT scores - I'm skeptical. First, because it is incredibly difficult to get over 700 on that verbal section. Also, because I have never been impressed with the super-intelligence of mandarin Chinese. Cantonese, which are more rare, though; yes! They are smarter than Japaners. The third James Clavelle book on Asia - I think Saito decided to let the Chosu ishin shishi win because after beating the Niwaban he doesn't think that the Japanese are as exceptional as they should be. Been a long time since I've seen the movie.

To make that song more poignant you could say "abandon their defenses" but it would sound too much like a fall of Rome scenario.

Personally, I think Saito should have won because the only way for to Japan to really win is through that 1858 treaty that's never been enforced. There wasn't really a way for the good Americans to win through in that mess.

The good American were British allies and threatened British intervention to force Japan to sign that treaty. The British had a much bigger navy than us back then. At one point the good Americans were slaughtered.

The movie is very sad. I think if I had ever completely finished it I would have died.

Although a trading city - Canton was never part of the British empire, like Hong Kong. It's main export was porcelain. So, China came from Canton. China is slang for porcelain. Like a China cabinet? The symbols in the Japanese alphabet are called "kanji," I don't know what they are called in the Chinese alphabet.5caecdd12cd29.jpg

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online