What classical would you suggest to a rock fan

Cannons Ahoy

The Great Pretender
Reaction score
I want to get into classical music but I don't know where should I start to get "hooked". The "main" rock genres I like are prog, blues/psychedelic rock and metal. Would you suggest a classical composer or piece for an easy start? I know some of the more popular compositions and have listened to some of them but not very actively.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
There are quite a few good pieces you could check out Cannons Ahoy.

Mussorgsky's: Pictures at an Exhibition

Mussorgsky_Pictures_at_an_Exhibition_Reiner_RCA61958_300.jpg

Tchaikovsky's: 1812 Overture

cover_large.jpg

Grieg's: Peer Gynt Suite, make sure it's the orchestral version without singing.

330654_enlarged__18651_std.jpg

Those are all lively pieces and well known, you've probably heard excerpts from all of them in movies/television over the years.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I'm not going to suggest any of the original composers but in the last year or so their's been some rock dabblings with more alternative and rock combinations. :)

In 2011 their was a duo who shredded awesomely on Cellos to some of the hardest rock songs!

2%20cellos%2011.jpg

In a more experimental bent modern day success Classical Stalinist teamed up with a Prepared Pianist (One who alters and adds things to the piano for unique sounds)! The results brought Classical elements into a looser more improvised rock edge.

hahn_hauschka_slide5_storyslide_image.jpg

Silk.Amber.Galaxy

Reaction score
Richard Wagner, Johannes Brahms, Beethoven, Richard Strauss (particularly, Also Sprach Zarathustra)

Most definitely Second the Holst suggestion.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
If you like progressive rock, then The Hebrides (Overture), also known as Fingal's Cave, by Felix Mendelsohn should cut the mustard. I cannot argue with any of the above, but would add Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, even though it has been a bit over exposed. Also, if you like Pictures, Mussorgsky's Night on Bare Mountain is worth hearing. Finally, I like Erik Satie's Gymnopedies, which I first heard via Rod Argent's version.

Julie

Reaction score
Everyone likes satie, chopin and debussy, I think.

You might also dig classical guitar music, like:

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online