What classical would you suggest to a rock fan

Lo Pan

Indeed!
Reaction score
I'm iffy on reposting the Youtube of it because of copyright, but:

Martha Argerich playing the three parts of "Gaspard de la Nuit" by Maurice Ravel

You will really love this performance if you like dark, melodic rock!

don1960lp

Reaction score
Concierto de Aranjuez - Paco de Lucía

IMO this is quite simply the greatest classical composition for guitar. I got to see it performed by Angel Romero
with the San Diego symphony about 10 years back. Goosebumps man.

I'd also recommend Stravinsky's Firebird Suite for rock fans. Yes use to use this as background music prior to starting their shows back in the 70s.

Reido

Reaction score
Beethoven piano sonata no. 8 "Pathetique"

Jethro Tull did a jazzed up version of the lst movt at their Carnegie Hall concert. You can hear it on the Living In The Past album. But I recommend the full piano rendition. It's usually found on a CD combined with the Moonlight, and Apassionata sonatas.

Schmetterling

Reaction score
I want to get into classical music but I don't know where should I start to get "hooked". The "main" rock genres I like are prog, blues/psychedelic rock and metal. Would you suggest a classical composer or piece for an easy start? I know some of the more popular compositions and have listened to some of them but not very actively.

Tricky one.... Anything by Mozart is probably about the most accessible to the new listener - particularly the symphonies, and if you want to listen to some spectacular vocal work try his operas - Die Zauberflöte is probably the most well known.

If you like piano, try Chopin or there is also a very good compliation of all of Beethovens piano sonatas by Jeno Jando.

There's loads of it and it's all bloody amazing. Just take your pick.....

Gibraltar

Reaction score
Rodrigo’s Concerto de Aranjuez - for those who love guitar music.
Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture - for heavy rock fans.
Grieg’s Piano Concerto - for piano fans, and for those many Brits like me who love Morecambe and Wise !

Romulus

Reaction score
Looking from a reverse point of view Deep Purple often used parts of Classical influenced music in their music, (Ritchie Blackmore took Classical guitar lessons before his Rock career) A good example would be the solo guitar and organ played in 'Burn' definitely a Bach kind of influence...!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online