What band did you start liking after their original fanbase stopped listening to them

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I thinks it's pretty obvious how fickle music fans can be. A new band comes along with a new sound, gets somewhat of a cult fan base of "diehards", gets noticed and then loses, sometimes bitterly, that fan base. Whether the band has truly "sold out" or not is another question. For me, one example, is the group "...And You Will Know Us By Our Trail of Dead". I remember talking music with some guy in an independent music shop in college and he was telling me about that group and after college I actually heard a decent song by them, "Counting Down the Days", while working at a Best Buy. I never purchased any of their stuff until I saw an advertisement for their "Worlds Apart" album and I loved it. It was epic and flowed together perfectly from one song to the next. I also loved the follow up album "So Divided". I looked into them more and read constant bitter rants by fans on how they suck now and their one good album was "Source Tags and Codes". I bought that album and just didn't feel it. I feel bands need time to develop their sound but music listeners seem to ditch them after the newness is over. Anyone here have any examples of a band that this happened to with them?

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Re: What band did you start liking after their original fanbase stopped listening to

Not sure this thread applies to me cause I usually look for stuff which people have usually long since forgotten. My concepts are simple, if I hear a song on the radio, I'll at least get the name of the song and try to get the artist name. Music which has usually been around for a long time, people will usually remember and there's no doubt there will be people who have done the same as me and collected it cause it sounds good. Sometimes I get something though and it's one of those kinds of songs which only has short term value and I loose interest quickly.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: What band did you start liking after their original fanbase stopped listening to

Not sure this thread applies to me cause I usually look for stuff which people have usually long since forgotten. My concepts are simple, if I hear a song on the radio, I'll at least get the name of the song and try to get the artist name. Music which has usually been around for a long time, people will usually remember and there's no doubt there will be people who have done the same as me and collected it cause it sounds good. Sometimes I get something though and it's one of those kinds of songs which only has short term value and I loose interest quickly.

This thread is mostly for bands that still play music or did when you started getting into them and their original fan base had a backlash against them! You listed an example when you mentioned the part about short term value songs and losing interest! Do you have an example of a band you did that with CP/M?

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

CelineIsTheAntichrist wrote:

This thread is mostly for bands that still play music or did when you started getting into them and their original fan base had a backlash against them! You listed an example when you mentioned the part about short term value songs and losing interest! Do you have an example of a band you did that with CP/M?

Yes - The Rolling Stones! :grinthumb But somehow I feel their original fanbase aren't through with them. At one stage in the 90s I got interested in their 60s music, but I think the crunch came in the 90s when I heard previews of their concerts and I simply felt that I would only stick with their 60s and early 70s music.

Beautiful Loser

Pig On The Wing
Reaction score

Not sure how large Seger's fanbase is these days. I started listening to him in the late 90s

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score

Mmm.... tough call. Like a previous poster most of what I listen to was long past its prime before I began, and my new music collection is a little bit too new to have that kind of falling out yet. But I can scrounge up a couple iffy examples that <i>might</i> work...

Eminem -- I started listening to Em shortly after the Slim Shady LP came out, but I think a good portion of the people who considered him cool jumped ship as soon as he became a suburban staple. Ironically I've long since jumped ship on his new stuff while my fellow suburbanites, or perhaps brand new fans all-together, continue to make him one of the highest selling artists.

Alanis Morissette -- Jagged Little Pill was so huge that I guess so backlash was inevitable. But Alanis seems to have this reputation as having been a false start, someone we thought was great but it turned out we were just caught up in the moment. That's the impression I got from her long before I started listening, that's actually exactly what they say about her in <i>Gilmore Girls</i> (of all places). Me, I wouldn't even consider Jagged Little Pill her best album. Later tracks like Joining You, Uninvited and I Was Hoping are as good as anything on JLP. I stated listening to her long after her golden period and I'd probably rank her as my favorite pre-00s pop artist.

Pantera -- Pantera pretty much revolutionized my music listening by bringing me into metal like no other band before could. And to be sure, they retain plenty of fans. But I would soon find that they're seen as something of a joke in many facets of extreme metal, seen as a relic of a bygone era that involved more bad than good. Needless to say I think they're great.

Beautiful Loser

Pig On The Wing
Reaction score

I've been on the Eminem ship since I bought my first CD when i was in third grade. It wad The Eminem Show and since then I have come to know all of his music. At least as much of it as I could find

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score

I do not remember Cream in the sixties and I started listening to them in the early or mid-seventies. By then, after big record sales, they became a bit unfashionable (probably because they had also split) and were concentrating on solo material. To me, Crossroads is a great early, riff-based, heavy rock track. But Having said that, I played the bluesy version of Skip James's Spoonful over and over.

Eric Clapton's post-Cream projects always made me yearn for more Cream. Ginger's Baker Gurvitz Army really captured my imagination, but I know little about Jack Bruce's myriad of solo albums with various top guitar players. Songs for a Tailor is Famous, but I have never heard a single track from the album. Anyone know if it is really worth getting?

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score

Nazareth and Barclay James Harvest. Their fanbase is not that big as it used to be.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Not a band, but I'm a Huge fan of Beethoven's and all his original fans are long dead...:heheh:

tumblr_lx0sbp7Ivo1qf0jklo1_500.jpg

Just avvin' some fun in here Sooty.;)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cucukakek89apk

Members online