What are YOUR profound losses

Debs

Banned
Reaction score
algernon said:
Nice idea. I share the loss of all mentioned(except Joplin and Morrison,quite frankly--sorry...I definitely think it was their time). I would add Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, and Elvis. If only the Colonel had let Springsteen work with Elvis...the "might have beens" with the King really get me.
I agree with you about Elvis , He had SO much talent. I was just watching 'Jailhouse Rock' with my 7 year old ..It amazed me what charisma he had in that film. It wasn't brilliant writing or Oscar material but..it was that outstanding.That was one of his first movies..but he had that camera like a pro! I think he would have had a terrific career as an actor. If he's been able to get better roles than 'Clambake' ! Colonel Parker was a idiot imo..Elvis was amazing..he had so much to give us...he just needed someone who cared about HIM to reconize it ! And Of course Johnny Cash..He i miss too..he was too cool for words :cry:

Joey Self

A Voice Of Reason
Reaction score
In addition to the usual suspects, many of which are already mentioned here, I'll add two names.

Jim Croce--three albums into his career, he was hitting his stride. I'd have loved to have heard a fourth album of new material. I remember when he died--it was during the county fair in 1973, as I was there when I heard it--and it was the first time an artist that I was into died. I remember when Hendrix and Joplin and Morrison died, but I wasn't really fans of their music at the time; with Croce, it hit me pretty hard.

Elliott Smith--I'm sad to say that I didn't catch up with him until after he died. In fact, it wasn't until I downloaded a couple of albums on my IRiver that I discovered him. I'm only beginning to appreciate just how good he was, and I think he's going to be one that I'd want "one more album" from.

JcS

Baz

Reaction score
I'll add someone who might not be appropriate for Rock of the 60's, or rock of any year...........but one of the great female voices of the last 30 years was Karen Carpenter. I have no doubts that she would have been a superstar moving more to standards/jazz, with roots in pop....her brother is an excellent arranger, a little bloated view of his own performing/singing abilities....but this was a woman plagued by anorexia, and to this day, many of her vocals stand out as favorites of mine......her phrasing, the voice itself, the way she pronounced certain words, the modulation of her voice.

Again, this is not a popularity contest, just a sharing of the losses of special people......Brian Jones' death did not impact upon me so much simply because I was not a big fan of the Stones...as years flew by, the first 20 plus years of the Stones are historic, but their latter stuff, and at that time, their early stuff, didn't press my musical sensibilities like other groups......that's why I have fun with this topic................and I'm a sucker for videos that are popping up on Youtube and elsewhere where we get to see some of these special folks who have left this earth.

B.

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
Jimi Hendrix
Tommy Bolin
Frank Zappa
Roy Buchanan
Luther Allison
Rory Gallagher

Glad to say I got to see SRV and Warren Zevon.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Here's the first losses I thought about when I just read this thread:
Bonham
Moon
Cobain
Janis
Lennon
Hendrix
There's more artists that I miss but they don't readily come to my coffee-deprived mind at the moment!

magnoliasteve

Reaction score
I was huge into the rock scene and when we lost Hendrix, Morrison and Joplin within months of each other, I think that may have made the biggest impact on me. I also followed Steppenwolf very closely and even after they broke up I was sad to see Jerry Edmonton, the drummer, pass.

I was also a huge fan of Lynyrd Skynyrd and followed Allen Collins' story. He survived the plane crash, then became paralyzed in a mototcycle accident, then died later.

Lowell George was a biggie as well.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Now that I am woken up a few weeks later, some other losses come to mind:
Definitely Ronnie Van Zant and Allen Collins....love the original Skynyrd!
Jim Morrison.....how can we ever forget you?....the answer is we can't.
Frank Zappa....I miss your originality and quirky creativity!

Midnight Rider

Captain Karma
Reaction score
How about the death of Bobby Fuller? Was it suicide, accident , or murder? My guess would be suicide but I am sure there are some who think otherwise.
The artist who I missed the most would be Jimi Hendrix. Such an amazing talent. There are many others though.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
Debs, I'm an Elvis movie fan myself and pretty much agree. Elvis was the goose who laid the golden egg and after a few years of the Colonel making easy money on the movies those eggs weren't so golden.

Acting wise my favorites are "Jailhouse Rock" and "Loving You" just for star Quality. "King Creole" and "Wild in the Country" because it seemed like Elvis really liked acting and was getting a knack for it.

The rest I like mostly for musical numbers like "I've got a lot of living to do" or "you're so square" - they got pretty interchangable, didn't they?
I still enjoy watching Ann Margret trying to Out-Elvis Elvis in "Viva Las Vegas" but it's fun mostly as camp.

great thread!
I miss a lot of people!
Elvis meant more to others in my family than me but I agree with this Pere Ubu lyric
Elvis fans are nicer than the people who laugh at them
and.. all the guy did was change the face of popular culture. lucky or not, he was the guy - the lightning rod of rock and roll.
he sure made some lousy movies though!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online