Wakey!Wakey!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
37383567_640.jpg
wakey-wakey-promo-2015-650x400.jpg

Wakey! Wakey! is a group fronted by songwriter Micheal Grubbs! The sound is like Five For Fighting with a darker, odder, more theatrical side and while it still contains the sweet balladry of FFF it's a little less radio ready and more alternative. I love how the music is mostly orchestrated pop with weird corners taken within the album. The singer is a character on the One Tree Hill show in which his music has been used for the show. I've never seen a single episode of the show and likely never will but apparently it has some great music attached.

The album I bought is also the name of a One Tree Hill episode.

Almost Everything I Wish I'd Said The Last Time I Saw You....
wakeywakeyalbum.png

It was the following song here that grabbed me to buy the album! Here's what I wrote in my journal when I first heard this song!

"This song has all my favorite elements in one package! Great emotional vocal dynamics, male/female harmonizing, piano, orchestrated pop (sweet violins) and a build to a great climax)! I must find more from this artist! I love this! Also, the car crash theme relating to a breakup and the "at least you were thrown clear" line is brilliant! I mean seriously, who has not been in a relationship or had feelings for someone where they felt they got the worst of it even to the point where it seems the other was unaffected at all!"

Car Crash

Almost Everything
(a vibrant nicely orchestrated feel good song, in the live vid you can see what a full band he has)

The Oh! Song
(Cool chorus in this one)

Take It Like A Man
(I love this one! It's crazy, schizo, beautiful and theatrical all in one)

Here's a live version of the above:

I think if anyone gives this a fair listen and likes singer songwriters with a different twist they may find this artist a hidden gem! :grinthumb

limpy

Penguin Power
Reaction score
Sooty :D I've never heard of these guys but when you mentioned "Five for Fighting" I have heard of them! Yes a little darker, but kinda similar in some way (yes and no) "Car Crash" wow what a mega song with many layers. A beautiful song with the piano and violin complimenting each other and also the girls voice! But the song is taking ages to load (damm slow net) Thing I found heart felt is his lyrics and description. But this song gets better towards the end, with the instrumentals! (PEOPLE LISTEN TO IT)!!!!!!

"Almost Everything" The thing that court me out in this song was the fast pace intro. That just got me hooked straight away! Again with the instruments, their is a layer of elements to each of them which contribute to the song.

This guy is really worth to have a look into! :grinthumb I'd love to see what else he has on this album, if the songs you already displayed I'm liking this far!

:heheh: Just gotta say "Take it like a Man" just set the scene for some on stage theater musical! But the more it went along, it lost a little of that theme but then it comes back :p But I do like the balance he has put in to it between that theatrical theme and the chorus!

Good Find!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well you read it here folks! Limpy said "People Listen To It!!!!" That's pretty good advertising! :grinthumb I'm glad you like it Limpy and I hope that's a sign others will like it too. Great descriptions of what you heard as well! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Wow! Cool stuff and it is pretty theatrical at that! I like big music.

Dug ALMOST EVERYTHING and will be listening to the rest!!

:grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Sooooo this year this artist and his album may be my favorite thing I'll hear in 2016! :)

0Wakey%20Wakey%20Overreactivity%20(LP)%20169960472.jpg

Heartbroke (Studio & Live)

Golden & Overreactivist (Live)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online