Vertical Horizon (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
vertical_logo.jpg

vertical-horizon.jpg

Vertical Horizon was a band that started in the 90's and while they peaked in the next decade the material up to that was created before that. They were one of those chugging pop rock bands that could and that makes you glad these seemingly laid back Joes could create the perfect pop harmonies that the world would be singing and humming too even if only to move on afterward. I remember hearing "Everything You Want" at the time and relating to the words so much at the time. At the time I was really crushing on the girl who would be my first official love in college. I remember being with our friends and being in the back seat sing it and being the only one who knew who the lyrics were relating to in my mind. I knew that I was right for her ("I am everything you want, I am everything you want....") at the time and I guess I was right because we had a great first love experience that lasted over a year before we found out the hard way we weren't mature enough with our limited relationship experience to work out our differences. Anyway, that's hopefully a unique lead in too a very well known song:

Everything You Want

Vertical Horizon if you look at the elements were generic at paper but too me they were in their own little box. The vocals were flat at times but had a unique tone and worked that he stayed in a certain range. The musicianship was light and melodic but the hooks were masterful. Their sound was the bridge between 90's and the 2,000's pop rock. I still think of the album:

Everything You Want
51ncfTvSsuL._SS500_.jpg

as a staple album for pop rock. The album admittedly is imbalanced as it leads in with it's strongest songs but I don't believe there's a weak song either. Here are the champs though:

Best I Ever Had
(**** the Country version, it just proved how great the original was)

You're A God
(unshakable bouncy hooks and chorus)

We Are
(an anthemic rocker for the genre)

Send It Up
(A later album track I like a lot)

I have the followup album "Go" as well and will post about that as well as the earlier stuff! Feedback and opinions on the band guys? :grinthumb

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Vertical Horizon

Best I Ever Had
(**** the Country version, it just proved how great the original was)

This is a good song for the brokenhearted.

Nice thread. I had almost forgotten about these guys. I hated Everything You Want though. One of those songs like Bad Day from Daniel Powter or Hate Me from Blue October that made me want to gouge my eardrums out when it came on the radio. :bonk:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

This is a good song for the brokenhearted.

Nice thread. I had almost forgotten about these guys. I hated Everything You Want though. One of those songs like Bad Day from Daniel Powter or Hate Me from Blue October that made me want to gouge my eardrums out when it came on the radio. :bonk:

:heheh: If you hated that song it definitely played enough. Well, I agree with you on taste halfway as I share your hatred for "Bad Day" but everyone here knows I'm a Blue October fan all the way. :heheh: Thanks for the compliment! :cheers2

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

Blue October? :yuk: Well, at least SP is still cool. :heheh:

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

^^^ FAIL! I love the Gary Allan version! I happen to like country versions of pop/rock songs a lot of the time though. Kinda unrelated, but remember when Sara Evans covered I Could Not Ask For More? So sweet!

Now, Dolly Parton's rendition of Stairway to Heaven I could definitely do without. :heheh:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

^^^ FAIL! I love the Gary Allan version! I happen to like country versions of pop/rock songs a lot of the time though. Kinda unrelated, but remember when Sara Evans covered I Could Not Ask For More? So sweet!

Now, Dolly Parton's rendition of Stairway to Heaven I could definitely do without. :heheh:

:omg:

O.K., here's the deal! You gather up all those Country covers and hide them to yourself where I can't here them and I'll do the same with all my Blue October music. I can't think of a better compromise than that. :D

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

:omg:

O.K., here's the deal! You gather up all those Country covers and hide them to yourself where I can't here them and I'll do the same with all my Blue October music. I can't think of a better compromise than that. :D

And here I thought you had one of the most varied tastes in music on the forum. :nw:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online