That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Mmmmm! Nothing new here.
As Heep fan, I keep hoping that they'd go back to their original sound. Disappointed every time :(
The original sound was definitely rooted in the early and mid 70's, and was their best period by far.

Still, other bands have resurrected their early sound and made it sound fresh. The last Scorpions album springs to mind (most of the tracks reminded me of In Trance and earlier), and the 1995 UFO reunion album.

Without Ken's writing (and to a lesser extent David), I'm not sure they could manage it.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
The original sound was definitely rooted in the early and mid 70's, and was their best period by far.

Still, other bands have resurrected their early sound and made it sound fresh. The last Scorpions album springs to mind (most of the tracks reminded me of In Trance and earlier), and the 1995 UFO reunion album.

Without Ken's writing (and to a lesser extent David), I'm not sure they could manage it.
I agree that Ken and David were the magic ingredients. Gary Thain's bass was also so melodic and a huge part of the sound.

There are quite a few very old bands that still manage to bring out albums that sound fresh but still have the trademark sound that made them who they are. As an example, Settlement by The Strawbs that had some very good new songs (with quite a lot of filler as well) but they sound like Strawbs. Going to look at those UFO and Scorpions albums that you mention as well.

My advice to me LOL
past.gif

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Finally gave in and bought the album. Not too bad - good rocking album with a lot of the old Heep traits. Biggest gripe I have is that Bernie Shaw's voice gets a bit much - not enough depth or variation.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steviepaul

Members online