Release Date: 1974
Run Time: 38:11
Vocals: Phil Mogg
Guitar: Michael Schenker
Bass: Pete Way
Drums: Andy Parker

Tracks

1. Oh My

I love the driving guitar here. The lyrics are just ok. The bass line follows the guitar pretty well. The drumming is decent. Nice way to start off an album.

2. Crystal Light

I love how the guitars and Mogg's vocals seem to work perfectly together. The lyrics are also fitting for the song. The guitar solo at the end is fitting with the song.

3. Doctor Doctor

This is probably the most popular song on the album and for good reason. The intro is amazing to me. The song keeps building up. The vocals also shine on this song.

4. Space Child

Another strong track on a brilliant album. This song slows things down a bit but UFO doesn't need to kick it into high gear to be solid. This is the last bit of what UFO used to be. This song has an epic guitar solo.

5. Rock Bottom

They start to speed things up again. This is probably their best live song. That doesn't take anything away from this studio version though. One of the best guitar solos ever. The breakdowns are amazing also.

6. Too Young To Know

This song is probably the most pop you'll ever hear from UFO. It is a decent track but how can you follow three of the best songs that they ever put out?

7. Time On My Hands

Time on my hands is probably the weakest song on the album. The guitar solo tries to save it.

8. Built For Comfort

The opening to this song is pretty nice. I love the riff a lot. The drumming is a nice slow and steady pace. If you like more bluesy stuff than give this one a listen.

9. Lipstick Traces

This song is a gem that you just never hear. A great way to help close out the album. This is a good instrumental track.

10. Queen Of The Deep

Mogg is so underrated. I love his voice in this song. The middle of this song rocks so hard.

Final Thoughts

UFO this last year is slowly climbing my favorite bands list. They put out great stuff in the 70's that hardly ever gets any airplay. This album is a perfect example of underrated. This band put out great live stuff in this era but this studio stuff is top notch. 10/10 for me.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Phenomenon by UFO

^^You must be a big fan you gave them a perfect score on Phenomenon.:grinthumb

I have been a fan of their's since 1979 when I picked up Stranger's in the Night. It was by accident, I was in Kelly's just browsing through the vinyl, seeing what was on sale and checking the new releases when Stacey (the manager) put on this album. After the 3rd track finished playing I picked up a copy and bought it. I wore my vinyl copy out and it was one of the first CD's I bought when it was finally released.

Anyway, nicely done FireandWater every UFO fan should have this one in the library.:cheers:

FireandWater

Family Man
Reaction score

^^You must be a big fan you gave them a perfect score on Phenomenon.:grinthumb

I have been a fan of their's since 1979 when I picked up Stranger's in the Night. It was by accident, I was in Kelly's just browsing through the vinyl, seeing what was on sale and checking the new releases when Stacey (the manager) put on this album. After the 3rd track finished playing I picked up a copy and bought it. I wore my vinyl copy out and it was one of the first CD's I bought when it was finally released.

Anyway, nicely done FireandWater every UFO fan should have this one in the library.:cheers:

Haha! Yes, I'm starting to become a hardcore fan of this group. Everything on this album appeals to me.

Rockperson

Reaction score

A nice review of IMO a classic UFO album.

This is where Schenker started to shine, wonderfully melodic guitar playing on Crystal Light, Space Child and Rock Bottom and Lipstick Traces.

One of my faves :)

Last edited:

gguerra

Reaction score

This is my favorite UFO album as you can see from my avatar.. Just something about it that really appeals to me, vocals by Mogg and guitar by Schenker who was only about 19 at the time. Superb guitar playing IMO

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

I have to agree with everyone here....this album is phenomenal !! To think Schenker was so young and inexperienced defies belief. Incredible !! Some beautiful guitar riffs with power and melody.....this is U.F.O at their best IMO . :bow:
Gguerra is right this is a real special album, the tracks fit together nicely and is faultless.....even the cover is great !!!:cheers2

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Blinding album, chocked up with solid tunes my personal fave from UFO. Sound write up .. excellent. :grinthumb

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Great album, nice review :grinthumb
Force It is the only UFO album I rate ahead of Phenomenon. This album is ...Phenomenal :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

UFO is one of the few bands(Ted Nugent is another) that I like their best Live album/song versions better than any of their studio works.

My personal UFO top three:

Strangers In The Night
Phenomenon
Force It

The others move up and down over time.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online