Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers ''Mojo'' # 2 in U.S.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
LOS ANGELES (Billboard) – Canadian rapper Drake's debut album flew to the No. 1 spot on the U.S. pop chart Wednesday, while Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers came in at No. 2 with their highest ranking since 1980.

Petty's "Mojo," his first album with the Heartbreakers since 2002's "The Last DJ," sold 125,000 copies. It marks the veteran rock act's best debut sales week since SoundScan started tracking sales in 1991 and its highest charting album since 1980's "Damn the Torpedos" peaked at No. 2. "Mojo" sales were aided by a successful concert ticket/album download offer, which accounted for a fair amount of the set's first week.

ph_or_24020_1345bdc.jpg

Drake and Tom Petty Lead U.S. Album Charts - ABC News

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Ah, so giving the album away for free counts as people buying it, eh? I see...

Well, Petty deserves all the recognition in the world for putting out such a monumental record, let alone this late in his career, let alone after staying so consistently. I hope everybody is digging on this record as much as I am. But I don't imagine it would top the sales of Full Moon Fever or Wildflowers without the ticket giveaway loophole....

Zombeels

Reaction score
Has anyone heard it? I have been very disappointed with the last few Petty records. I long for some good albums like Wildflowers or Full Moon Fever.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
MOJO's great....I'm diggin' it...

If you're looking for another ''Full Moon Fever'' sounding album, forget it...

MOJO is a blues rock album....and more...

I think MOJO's a solid album, from start to finish, but I'm still soaking it in...probably take all summer to soak it in....

It's the summer album of the year for me.

How great is the album compared to other Petty albums? - ask me at the end of the summer.

And as far as ''loophole'' goes?

You can look at it as a loophole or gimmick...

but, I look it as Tom Petty being a cool cat taking care of his fanbase...

And if it was a promotional stunt?...

it worked....he hit #2....

and nothin' wrong with that. :D

Go Tom!

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
The album is #1 on Amazon's Best Sellers Rock list. I didn't see any free ticket download offer there.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Has anyone heard it? I have been very disappointed with the last few Petty records. I long for some good albums like Wildflowers or Full Moon Fever.

Oh, it's incredible. But if you're looking for Wildflowers/Full Moon Fever don't listen to Mojo. Mojo is like taking Mudcrutch to the next level. They amp up the instrumentations even more and boy, shit gets lucid. Petty's mostly stuck close to a verse/chorus thing, this record is as close to Led Zeppelin, Allmans, or Neil Young & Crazy Horse that Petty has ever been.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online