Thriving Ivory (Official Thread)

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
I'm still somewhat undecided about this band. Their sound leans towards the pop side but then again I think most newer rock bands do now. Also, the vocal sound is a bit different. Something about the song 'Angels On The Moon' grips me though, so I thought I would share.

Thriving Ivory is an American rock band who originated in Santa Barbara, California and went through various line-up changes before relocating to San Francisco, California in their current form. They released their self-titled Wind-up Records debut album on June 24, 2008. The debut album reached #1 on the Billboard Heatseekers chart on the strength of the charting single "Angels on the Moon". After half a year, "Angels on the Moon" appeared on the US Pop 100 Chart, reaching number 28.

The band was chosen for the Yahoo! Music: Who's Next? User's Choice Competition. They were up against 3 other artists, including We The Kings, Shwayze, and Mandi Perkins. The contest launched August 14, 2008. They also featured as a MySpace Karaoke Artist where fans submitted audio or video of themselves singing a song by the band.

In 2009 they performed their single "Angels on the Moon" on Jimmy Kimmel Live and The Rachael Ray Show.

On April 21, 2010, while recording their forthcoming album, the band announced that Bassist Bret Cohune had decided to "pursue different opportunities." Early in 2010 their first single "Angels on The Moon" went certified Gold in the US selling over 500,000 copies. Their second studio album, Through Yourself & Back Again was released on September 14, 2010.

Members
Clayton Stroope
Scott Jason
Drew Cribley
Paul Niedermier
Charlie Reid

Past members
Bret Cohune

thriving-ivory-3851.jpg

Official Website

frontblog141.jpg

Thriving-Ivory.jpg

This song, from their first CD, was inspired by the heroics of 9/11...

Angels On The Moon

And from their second CD...

Where We Belong

Last edited:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I've heard of these guys before, but they were never very high on my list. Not sure why, I just don't listen to them often.

One song I really like though:

Unfortunately, the vocalist has taken me a little getting used to.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
^^^Yes, his voice is definitely different. I don't think I could listen to an entire CD at once. But a song here and there, yeah.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Agreed. And I honestly do listen to a few bands with voices like that, but for some reason, his voice isn't one i'm too fond of. It sounds waaaaay too whiny. If he sang normally, perhaps the band would succeed far more than they do now.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Agreed. And I honestly do listen to a few bands with voices like that, but for some reason, his voice isn't one i'm too fond of. It sounds waaaaay too whiny. If he sang normally, perhaps the band would succeed far more than they do now.

It does. When he tones it down in certain parts of a song it sounds so much better and easier to listen to. I'm curious as to what his speaking voice sounds like.:heheh:

All in all though, they have a decent sound.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Here's an interview they did, I haven't watched the whole thing, so i'm not sure if you'll get to hear his regular speaking voice:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Yeah :heheh: It's a singing style that some vocalist can pull off, and evidently, some vocalist can't pull off. Craig Owens from Chiodos can pull it off pretty well, as can some other indie or post-hardcore vocalists. This guy however should just sing normally. Either that, or replace the vocalist altogether :tongue:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I got the first CD and like it alright :grinthumb

not bad...the song I would have posted here is already in the OP

:cheers2

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
^^^Yes, his voice is definitely different. I don't think I could listen to an entire CD at once. But a song here and there, yeah.

I have both c.d.s as well JG and this sums up my opinion as well. They have some good tracks but the albums never really grabbed me. The vocals remind me of a grittier Pat Monahan (Train). They have a lot of the type of song arrangements and music stylings I like but the vocals are too much for long exposure for me. "Angels on the Moon" was the song that got me to listen to them as well! :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online