Thin Lizzy box set

E-Z

Reaction score
Fools Gold is a killer track, weren't we spoilt in the 70s as youths.. having this stuff at our ears and fingertips?
I have been re-listening to Johnny The Fox over the last 2-3 days as I tended to skip over it to a certain extent down the years for no real reason other than it followed Jailbreak and the Live And Dangerous album was around that time anyway the album has some great tracks on it including Fools Gold which although I have heard before I kind of 'glossed over it' in the past but it is worth a closer listen to be honest as it's one of the excellent tracks on already good album.

Dio Chevy

Reaction score
Sometimes things from box sets end up on Youtube. I've never bought a box set before, so I hope almost everything ends up on Youtube.

Reactions: E-Z

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Fools Gold is a killer track, weren't we spoilt in the 70s as youths.. having this stuff at our ears and fingertips?

I gotta differ.

Yes, we were spoiled in our youths as far as music, but it was hardly at our fingertips.

You either heard it on the radio, when the radio decided to play it, or you earned the money and went out and bought it.

And then you saved your every spare penny and spent it on the ultimate prize... concert tickets. And if you missed out on that, you had to wait. And wait. And wait.

Nowadays everything is at your fingertips. There's no anticipation, no suspense. You can hear whatever you want, whenever you want.

Killing the mystique even more is the fact that you can SEE anybody you want, anytime you want.

Rock stars used to be mysterious, larger than life, dare I say it...God like.

That's because you only ever saw pictures in Creem or Hit Parader and the like, and on album covers.

Once in a while you'd get to see your favorites doing a couple songs on The Midnight Special or Don Kirshner's Rock Concert.

Now you can see a video for darn near every song on an album that was just released last Tuesday. (I don't know when albums started getting dropped )

E-Z

Reaction score
Totally agree with your post above Vehicle basically music has become devalued maybe in the last 25-30 years since the days of Napster and down loading music that started in the late 1990s and maybe even earlier with the advent of cds in the early 1980s although cds didn't really take off until a decade later in the 1990s.

MrMan

Reaction score
Totally agree with E-Z and Vehicle here.

Prior to MTV and then file-sharing rock musicians were mysterious, exotic. When they came to town it was like a marauding gang that invaded your city. The lack of media coverage enhanced their mystique. I remember finding Led Zeppelin's single Immigrant Song, which had Hey Hey What Can I Do as side B and it was like I had discovered buried treasure...finally I could listen to that one Zep song not on any albums!

It wasn't better or worse, just different.

It was also a time when rock music was the dominant force in youth culture....at least white suburban youths (I imagine a lot of non-white people wish it weren't that way). I think it's hard for young people today to understand how influential rock music, rock bands and artists were back then.

E-Z

Reaction score
Totally agree with E-Z and Vehicle here.

Prior to MTV and then file-sharing rock musicians were mysterious, exotic. When they came to town it was like a marauding gang that invaded your city. The lack of media coverage enhanced their mystique. I remember finding Led Zeppelin's single Immigrant Song, which had Hey Hey What Can I Do as side B and it was like I had discovered buried treasure...finally I could listen to that one Zep song not on any albums!

It wasn't better or worse, just different.

It was also a time when rock music was the dominant force in youth culture....at least white suburban youths (I imagine a lot of non-white people wish it weren't that way). I think it's hard for young people today to understand how influential rock music, rock bands and artists were back then.
Thanks MrMan for the vote of agreement. I live life as a "Rock star" that means thinking like a "Rock God" 24/7/365 and of course listening to plenty of mainly late 60s & 70s ROCK but sometimes I like some 70s funk or electric blues but it's mainly 70s Rock and Blues/Rock.

As for Thin Lizzy?. They were TOPS and Philo (Phil Lynott) is a personal ROCK GOD HERO of mine.

AUDREYSPENCE

Reaction score
Thanks MrMan for the vote of agreement. I live life as a "Rock star" that means thinking like a "Rock God" 24/7/365 and of course listening to plenty of mainly late 60s & 70s ROCK but sometimes I like some 70s funk or electric blues but it's mainly 70s Rock and Blues/Rock.

As for Thin Lizzy?. They were TOPS and Philo (Phil Lynott) is a personal Kodi nox ROCK GOD HERO of mine.
totally true I agree

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online