Thin Lizzy box set

E-Z

Reaction score
I just bought a x6 cds & one dvd Thin Lizzy box set to go with all my other 'Lizzy' stuff. The Thin Lizzy box set is a killer release rock dudes from Ireland's greatest heavy rock band of all time and fronted by 'rock god' Phil Lynott poet and rockstar and vagabond of the western world.

E-Z

Reaction score
You can tend to forget how good a lot of there songs and records were until you hear them again songs like Jailbreak, The Cowboy Song & Bad Reputation and many more. Thin Lizzy were one of the few heavy rock bands along with maybe UFO and Rainbow who were around in the UK during the mid to late 1970s playing heavy rock that fell between the popularity of earlier heavy rock bands at the start of the decade of the 1970s with bands like Deep Purple, Black Sabbath & Uriah Heep and what came along 10 years later with the rise of NWOBHM bands at the start of 1980 with bands like Iron Maiden, Saxon & Def Leppard.

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
Yeah I know SDM it cost me £100 BUT it is a real interesting box set that I couldn't resist buying. I originally bought the x4 cd box set called Vagabonds, Kings, Warriors & Angels about 20 years ago when it first came out although I didn't buy the previously unreleased limited edition BBC box set a few years ago that contained 6 or 7 discs of BBC recordings as I am not totally a fan of the BBC recordings of rock bands as they all sound a bit 'dry' to my ears although I did buy the double-cd version as the first disc contains the early line up of Phil Lynott, Brian Downey & Eric Bell.

Last edited:

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
I just bought a x6 cds & one dvd Thin Lizzy box set to go with all my other 'Lizzy' stuff. The Thin Lizzy box set is a killer release rock dudes from Ireland's greatest heavy rock band of all time and fronted by 'rock god' Phil Lynott poet and rockstar and vagabond of the western world.
Great find E-Z. Is it a the compilation with 74 previously unreleased tracks? I would love to have a copy of that one for my collection.
Thin Lizzy Detail New Box Set With 74 Unreleased Recordings - Rolling Stone

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
Great find E-Z. Is it a the compilation with 74 previously unreleased tracks? If so, I would love to have a copy for my collection.
Thin Lizzy Detail New Box Set With 74 Unreleased Recordings - Rolling Stone
Yeah record27 I heard about it being released towards the end of last year 2020 but what with the lockdown since the early part of this year it's taken me until quite recently to obtain a box set. Funny I willingly paid a £100 for the 'Lizzy' box set but Black Sabbath Vol 4 box set is being sold for the same price a £100 also but I was thinking that's a bit on the steep side price wise?. I did buy the previous Paranoid box set though.

Last edited:

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
I don't think I'd pay £100 for the Volume 4 expanded edition either. It may also be a little out of my league, lol. With all these extras that you buy the album for, you listen to the extras once and only listen to the original album anyway. For 99% of the extras, there's a valid reason why the track didn't make it onto the album in the first place.

E-Z

Reaction score
Yeah I know what you mean record27 a lot of the time I just like to listen to the actually record tracks that the band wanted to put out although it is interesting to hear unused tracks or outtakes or alternate takes but as you say once you've heard them a couple of times I usually go back to the straight album tracks that were released at the time back in the 1970s or 1980s.

Going back to Black Sabbath if Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is released as a box set with possibly the bands full performance on cd & dvd at the California Jam in April 1974 and it cost £100 I would definitely buy it as I would really like to see the bands full performance on stage at that concert because I know it was filmed in it's entirety for American television as was Deep Purple, Emerson Lake & Palmer & possibly The Eagles and Earth, Wind & Fire performances were.

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
The Thin Lizzy 'dirty dozen' on my playlist-

1.Whiskey In The Jar (full-length version)
2.The Rocker (full-length version)
3.The Hero And The Madman
4.Gonna Creep Up On You
5.Jailbreak
6.Boys Are Back In Town
7.Cowboy Song
8.Johnny
9.Rocky
10.Don't Believe A Word
11.Fools Gold
12.Massacre

Just under the dirty dozen-