The Velvet Underground the first alt. rock band

bohohippybeatnic

Reaction score
They where an early influence but I wouldn't as far as saying there the first alt. rock band. R.I.P Lou Reed and Sterling Morrison!

mrJim

Reaction score
my opinion No.

my personal opinion is if you looking for the first origins you look to Garage Rock. think.... Link Ray, Sam the Sham, maybe even the Sonics.

All pre date the Velvet Underground who was certainly the early huge influence.

Jim

Javed Jafri

Reaction score
Yes or no?

Depends on the definition of "alt". The Mothers of Invention were not mainstream and started at about the same time as The Velvet Underground. Captain Beefheart's first single "Diddy Wha Diddy" predated the Velvets and came out in 1965 I think.

In terms of the punk aesthetic yes maybe the Velvets followed by The MC5, The Stooges, The Modern Lovers and New York Dolls, Ramones and the gates came crashing down after that.

Now as far as garage rock that's a huge area and the Sonics and Wailers ( from the west coast) were some of the early examples but even the Kinsmen's Louie Louie could be included.

The Wanderer

Kids With Guns
Reaction score
As much as I love the Velvet Underground, I do not think they were the first Alt. Rock band. I'd say maybe the MC5 or The Sonics. It all depends on who you talk to.

Last edited:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Alternative rock is such a wide umbrella term I'm pretty sure you could find an earlier band to pick than the VU. The VU are one of the all-time biggest influences, though.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LongIshmael

Members online