The Travelling Wilburys

magicmoments

Reaction score
My bestest favorite video, "Handle With Care" by the Travelling Wilburys. Only two left now and I ponder who will go first, them or me.

Catch the moment of contact between George Harrison and Roy Orbison at the line "sweet smell of success". Roy's smile captures it all, making me think of what the anti-monk Thomas Merton had to say about "success"...

If I have a message to my contemporaries it is surely this: Be anything you like, be madmen, drunks, and bastards of every shape and form, but at all costs avoid one thing, success....If you are too obsessed with success, you will forget how to live. If you have learned only how to be a success, your life has probably been wasted.

Slightly off tangent, but on the same broad theme, there are the words of Keith Richards, who tells of people coming up to him in the street and asking how they can make a good group and earn lots of money. "I say to them, well look, why don't you try starving?"

Well, I've waffled enough.

Edit. Just watched it through again. Roy's chorus still sends shivers up my spine, what a voice. Unique. And the various photos are gut-wrenching.

Last edited:

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Not trying to be a 'Debbie downer' , but I never was very impressed with the music they released.
I always felt that for a group with that much talent in song writing that they could have done far better.
Maybe a case of too many egos in one group?

magicmoments

Reaction score
Not trying to be a 'Debbie downer' , but I never was very impressed with the music they released.
I always felt that for a group with that much talent in song writing that they could have done far better.
Maybe a case of too many egos in one group?
All about opinion. I love the two albums. I gave my copy of the first album away to an old mate who had ended up with on-going dementia in a Care Home. Another mate bought me a replacement one Christmas, which was both albums with the bonus tracks. Ego's? We all have them.

TrekkiELO

Reaction score
My bestest favorite video, "Handle With Care" by the Travelling Wilburys. Only two left now and I ponder who will go first, them or me.

Catch the moment of contact between George Harrison and Roy Orbison at the line "sweet smell of success". Roy's smile captures it all, making me think of what the anti-monk Thomas Merton had to say about "success"...

If I have a message to my contemporaries it is surely this: Be anything you like, be madmen, drunks, and bastards of every shape and form, but at all costs avoid one thing, success....If you are too obsessed with success, you will forget how to live. If you have learned only how to be a success, your life has probably been wasted.

Slightly off tangent, but on the same broad theme, there are the words of Keith Richards, who tells of people coming up to him in the street and asking how they can make a good group and earn lots of money. "I say to them, well look, why don't you try starving?"

Well, I've waffled enough.

Edit. Just watched it through again. Roy's chorus still sends shivers up my spine, what a voice. Unique. And the various photos are gut-wrenching.
My top two all-time favorite Traveling Wilburys songs are "Handle with Care" & "End of the Line"

For me, you can't have one without the other!

:cool:

Delilah

Reaction score
I think the band is excellent!! My favorite Beatle has always been George Harrison, so I am happy that he was a member of The Travelling Wilburys..I am still upset that he has passed on...too sad to me... =-(((

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online

No members online now.