The Sisters of Mercy

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
THE SISTERS OF MERCY are an English Gothic rock band formed in Leeds 1980, around vocalist ANDREW ELDRITCH. They achieved commercial success in the mid 80s to early 90s. with classics "temple of love" and "this corrosion" etc They stopped new recorded output in 1994[...........how frustrating that has been to the Sisters fans is beyond belief :mad::banghead:] due to dissagreements with the record label. The band is a touring outfit only. The 3 studio albums -
"First last and always"
"Floodland"
"Vision Thing"
are CLASSICS!!! [ Not forgeting the inspiring "Reptile house e.p ]:bow:

Attachments

• SISTERS 1.jpeg
    SISTERS 1.jpeg
    5.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 200px-Vision_thing.jpg
    200px-Vision_thing.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 62
  • sisters 2.jpeg
    sisters 2.jpeg
    3.5 KB · Views: 62
  • sisters 3.jpeg
    sisters 3.jpeg
    2.8 KB · Views: 62

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
THE SISTERS OF MERCY have included in their line ups over the years Wayne Hussey [THE MISSION] guitar and the very beautiful Patricia Morrison on bass [ex Gun Club]

Attachments

• sisters 4.jpeg
    sisters 4.jpeg
    3.1 KB · Views: 56
  • sisters 5.jpg
    sisters 5.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 57
  • sisters 6.jpeg
    sisters 6.jpeg
    4.3 KB · Views: 56

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Never heard of them before LOU...but I'll give them a listen.:tup:

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
I like Sisters of Mercy, but I haven't got any of their albums. I did download This Corrosion and Dominion the other week though for my MP3 player :) If I were to buy an album which one would you suggest Lou?

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I love these, have all their albums, I managed to see them a few years ago. Great band, I love vision thing but they are good really, here is a great track...

b.o.b.

Reaction score
One of the most influential bands ever. Many gothic metal bands were influenced by them and their anthem songs were covered massively by metal bands. Some people say that they are the inventors of electro-goth style. I’m a little bit surprised that they are so little known here. This summer The Sisters of Mercy are coming to my country. If I will survive to the the Big 4 clash I hope I will attend to their show in august.

Great cover by Warrel Dane (Sanctuary/Nevermore)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Thanks b.o.b !.Thats a cracking version of a Sisters cover......mm of course Paradise Lost and one of my fave bands Love like Blood have also dabbled successfully in Sisters covers:grinthumb
As for albums..Tray.i tend to like Vision Thing slightly better than the others but their all classy.:)
Your right Sweaty THE SISTERS OF MERCY in their heydey were a phenomenal band "live"...their gimic was to play with an over the top display of dry ice/smoke . Haha :DB where at times you couldnt even see the band!..but it just added to the gothic atmosphere
Hope you get to see them b.o.b ,im seeing them July at the Mera Luna festival in Germany ............Theres many who have said that ELDRITCH has lost it and living on past glories..we will have to wait and see...

Attachments

• sis 7.jpeg
    sis 7.jpeg
    4.2 KB · Views: 45
  • sis 8.jpeg
    sis 8.jpeg
    2.8 KB · Views: 45

Cinder

Reaction score
Sisters of Mercy? Very big in the 1990s, yes Wayne Hussey started out with these guys then went on to form The Mission. I still think Hussey has the better vocals, listen to early Sisters Stuff and you can hear Husseys distinctive vocals.

The group was later joined by Tony Martin formerly of Generation X and Zig Zig Sputnik. I lost all respect for Sisters when Martin joined the group as I thought he was a joke.

Sisters in their heyday were great but then Eldredge for me just lost it. I never got to see him in the height of his popularity but later saw him in 2006 and was very disappointed by his performance. Gone was the gothic persona, now replaced by an American reject (no reflection on our amercan fans there).

He had dyed his hair blond, was clearly as high as a kite and didnt give a fxxk about his fans, gone was the Gothic persona and I did catch him giving a 2 fingered gesture to the audience behind a very thick smoke screen, which had many complkaints made against.

The smoke screen that is, I was right up front and strugled to hear him sing and as for see, forget it! No wonder there was complaints.

Bring back the 90s and he gets a 100% thumbs up from me but 2006? Its definately a 100% thumbs down.

Last edited:

Cinder

Reaction score
Tut tut tut! Ive been repremanded by my English tutor lol I did indeed mean Tony James lol and ok and it was suppose to read sigue sigue sputnik but I prefer zig zig sputnik. At least you can understand that one lol :)

Thank you teach, a big red apple is on its way :) personally polished by moi :D

That aside, they still lost their cred when Tony joined up :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Members online