The official Sparks thread

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
I don't recall, unfortunately.

It sounds familiar. It might have been something along the lines of Rock n' Roll Tonight or something to that effect but I've never seen it in whole so it could have very well been something special to Los Angeles during that time (I think they were finally recording in the states for a little while there but I could be mistaken).

Something tells me they were still in France or Germany during that time. I think Giorgio Moroder produced "Angst In My Pants", which the above tracks you mentioned, are from.

No idea, though.
That's the wonder of Sparks.

They fly under the radar with such ease, but they're such a treasure to behold.

blippo

Reaction score
Thanks lady. That is when I first heard and instantly liked Sparks when I taped that. And the crazy thing is, I can't find that tape now! I wish I can find that.

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
They were really a spectacle live. :) With Ron's gestures and Russell's energy, and the crazy things they'd do on stage (i.e.; Ron's strip show over "I Predict" was replicated live a number of times).

Since you tuned in during that time, and if you're looking to start a Sparks collection, for old time's sake you might like "Sparks In Outer Space" or "Angst In My Pants" - their sound has never been quite the same from one album to the next. I've written some reviews on select Sparks albums - the links to those records can be found in the Index in the "Album Reviews" section.

blippo

Reaction score
I've been doing some research on the albums Sparks put out. I know I had "Big Beat" 1976, in an 8 track tape. And the songs I had taped on my recorder from the radio were 3 songs from the Angst In My Pants album, but I remember it was a live concert. I remember, Sextown USA, Aingst in My Pants, and I Predict, were done live. I'm still researching to see if I can narrow that down to the particular concert. :)

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
It sounds familiar - I think at some point I found something like that on Wolfgang's Vault but I don't recall.

I know that when "I Predict" was performed live, it typically went on for several minutes to allow for Ron's stripping, though. :D

blippo

Reaction score
lady, bingo! That's where I found it, at Wolfgang's Vault . It was the Sparks concert at My Father's Place(Roslyn NY) May 26, 1982. Thank you very much.

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score

1:06 marks a great display of Mael interaction.

Russ is talking.
Ron interrupts.
Russ keeps talking.
Ron persists.

Russ gets bratty and says, "shut up!"

The rest of the video is garbage compared to that moment of golden luminosity.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online

No members online now.