The Official RAVEN Thread

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
raven_logo.png

Since brothers Mark and John Gallagher have now released a brand new CD on Metal Blade records...I thought we would give props to one of the wildest Heavy Metal (NWOBHM) bands on earth!! Of course they have always referred to their music as "Athletic Rock" and they even have a song with the same title on their ALL FOR ONE album!! The band has been known to wear sports gear on stage...hocky masks,guards,elbow pads...using them to crash cymbals and the like. Quite a visual show.

large_raven1.jpg

Edit - Dead images removed. Riff Raff

The band was actually formed all the way back in 1974!! They wouldn't release their first album ( "Rock Until You Drop"pictured above) until 1981 however. In 1984 they were signed to Atlantic and like alot of band...commercialized their sound a bit. In some ways, this hurts or helps a band...but for a band like RAVEN...I think they were just fine the way they were.

Dead video and images removed - Riff Raff

They did gain one major hit with On and On from Stay Hard...but after the release of The Pack Is Back...original drummer Wako Hunter left to not only spend time with family, but went on to work with Jazz legends Branford Marsalis and Harry Connick, Jr. in audio production and engineering.
New drummer Joe Hasselvander, joined in 1988. Everythng seemed to be rockin' and they did tour up until 2001. Mark Gallagher suffered an accident when a "wall" fell on him crushing his legs.

After the death of Joe's mother and both John and Mark's Mother and Father (and Mark's accident) the band came back stronger than ever with a new album in 2010 entitled WALK THROUGH FIRE...and that they did.
Some of the best...catchiest...fastest...melodic.... and most furious Raven heard to date!!

Check IT Out!

HAILS!!!!

51Nnk2rvLyL._SS400_.jpg

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Raven sounds like AC/DC on speed with some Van Halen influences.

This band totally missed my radar, MP. They have some decent thrashing going on. It is nice to see an old NWOBHM band make a comeback.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
All their stuff is great Magic...but I was shocked at how good the new album is...

Here's another old bluesy cut...this one from the first album.

...and a cool SWEET cover...Hellraiser/Action

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Great to see another NWOBHM band get their own thread !:grinthumb
I always had a soft spot for RAVEN .They were raw.unpretentious likable guys playing metal a little bit faster than the old guard.RAVEN were a breath of fresh air to the scene. The 1st track I heard was "let it rip" on a compilation,loved it and bought their debut album asap. I wasnt dissapointed it was great fun.
MAGIC....is on the right lines...RAVEN were pioneers in thrash....but when the thrash scene was big in the US....I think RAVEN...slowed down.
As MP pointed out RAVEN have had some bad luck along the way,so it was good to hear their new material sounding good :)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I love the new CD there LOU...worth picking up for sure. Check out the lead off track...it's like their 2010 Faster Than The Speed Of Light. :grinthumb

:oy:

Moore_82

Reaction score
Seen the Gallagher brothers and company twice, they definitely put on a stellar show that's for sure.

My footage from the second time seeing them (w/Diamond Head).

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Seen the Gallagher brothers and company twice, they definitely put on a stellar show that's for sure.

My footage from the second time seeing them (w/Diamond Head).

:pullhair:

GREAT footage Moore!!!

Love Break The Chain too!!!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online