"The Official" Mat Kearney Thread

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Mat Kearney
Mat-Kearney-sc03.jpg

Question: What do you get when you produce an artist that makes a successful seamless mix of folk and hip hop with discreetly Christian lyrical themes?

Answer: Mat Kearney
matkearney-02-big1.jpg

Mat Kearney took off with this song which was a big adult contemporary hit:

Nothing Left to Lose

Despite liking the laid back vibe of the song it wasn't until the next song that I bought this album of the same name!

Nothing Left To Lose
b000eq47ls01_sclzzzzzzz_v56331659_.jpg

The second song which surprised me as well as his initial mainstream audience. The song Undeniable still had the laid back vibe but it was filled with beats and actual rap with flourishes of folk guitar! I really dug it and it got me to purchase the c.d.!

Undeniable

After buying the album the enjoyment didn't end there! The fresh mix of adult alternative ballads and hip hop flavored folk carried me through the whole c.d., without feeling forced or gimmicky! Here are my two favorite album tracks and tracks from him in general, each representing the two extremes of his work:

Bullet
(my favorite hip hop styled track)

All I Need
(my favorite ballad, just gorgeous)

All I Need (Awesome Live Version :grinthumb)

I haven't delved into his second album appropiately yet as it's a real contrast in styles but this should be enough for people who are unfamiliar with Mat Kearney! :grinthumb

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Unfortunately the first 3 videos are copyright blocked for me. Bullet is very cool though, and is it just me or does he sound a lot like Chris Martin in All I Need? Not that I'm complaining, I agree it's a good ballad :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Unfortunately the first 3 videos are copyright blocked for me. Bullet is very cool though, and is it just me or does he sound a lot like Chris Martin in All I Need? Not that I'm complaining, I agree it's a good ballad :grinthumb

The blocking part sucks! You may be able to find some version of the songs underneath the names on youtube if you are interested! :D As far as the Chris Martin comparison I can definitely get that on the slower songs. I dug Coldplay the most on their first release which is what Coldplay era Mat sounds like in my opinion.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I think there must be different videos for different countries or something because a quick search has me listening to Nothing Left To Lose right now.

Again, it's very Chris Martin sounding. I personally like the Rush Of Blood/X&Y era of Coldplay. Parachutes hasn't fully grabbed me as much as they have, (yet) and I'm pretty indifferent about most of Viva La Vida.

Nothing Left To Lose I felt was too far to the pop extreme, however I'm enjoying Undeniable a lot more.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Nothing Left To Lose is a nice ballad but I think I like All I Need more :grinthumb

Nice thread man!! :cheers:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
It didn't ruin anything for me...it's all cool. But the ballads were really nice. I must admit that. He has a smooth voice.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Mat Kearney has a new album coming out:

Young Love
mkyounglove.jpg

The new single is an infectious tune about his recent wife that has the potential to spin on the radio quite a bit if given the chance! :grinthumb

Hey Mama

limpy

Penguin Power
Reaction score
All I need would have to be my favorite! It's such a graceful melody but very soulful and deep! and Hey Mama is quiet catchy!! :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
All I need would have to be my favorite! It's such a graceful melody but very soulful and deep! and Hey Mama is quiet catchy!! :grinthumb

Yes, "All I Need" is a beautiful song! I could see Coldplay singing it but they would add too much to it IMO! Mat keeps it simple and keeps that great melody as you said which makes it a song done best by him! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online